The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: grass prob
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:44 am 

I'm hoping someone can help...I have a wild flower plot in my yard, about 800 sq ft, The other wildflowers are coming along nicely. But the crab grass and bermuda is now growing in from the sides. We are just about to mow for the 2nd time this year. Does anyone have any info on what to do about the unwanted grasses in our wildflower plot?

Post subject: Re: grass prob
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:54 am 

pull them up by hand and make sure to get all the roots or as much of them as you can. i would suggest putting in a deep barrier along the edge of the bed to keep the grass from continuing to invade the area and it will continue to do that if you don't put in some kind of decent barrier.

i have zoisa which has a pretty shallow root system so the concrete edgers that are about 6 inches in height have worked pretty well to keep it out of the flower beds - i have them buried into the soil about half way with just the top curved/scalloped edge visible over the top of the grass (which i do leave higher than most people do). there is ocassional growth over the top of the edgers but that's not often.

if the bermuda stuff has deep roots, you'd need something that goes deeper.