The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: replanning my garden
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 pm 

Hello

I am very interested in your input and help with re planning my front garden. Some of the plants were there when my parents bought the house 30 years ago and some I planted over the years. The plants have multiplied over the years and now the Ditch lilies, which we love have grown in between the other plants.

What I want to do is cut back the ditch lillies to just the back of the bed which get over 36" tall to one section where I have other hybrid lillies growing in. I want to add other complimenting plants that adds visual interest at other times of the year, that currently lack visual interest. Especially winter interest.

These are the plants I have and would like to keep. I am looking for suggestions of other plants that will compliment and flower at other times of the year.

Here is a list of the details

Name
Flower color
Height
spacing
Blooms
depth

Stella dora daylilly
Yellow
12in
24 inches
June-July

Red storm border lillies/ lilum red carpet lillies
Red
14-18in
?
june-july

(look like blue bells)
Purple/blue
14”
?
Mid april-late May

Tulips
Various

mums
Various
16” APPROX
October

Native daylillies
Orange
36+ inches
24 inches
Mid June-August

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: replanning my garden
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 pm 

i have purple coneflowers with the daylily (ditchlily). the flower colors complement each other well and the coneflower can be deadheaded so that it reblooms - and the seedheads provide winter interest and food for whatever birds stay all year. white coneflower would also be nice. they can get tall - up to 36 inches if weather conditions and water levels are just right. otherwise, they're about 24 inches or so. starts blooming late june.

some kind of sedum would be good mixed in, also - bloom time is late summer/fall. there is quite a variety of sedum available these days! from the basic 'autumn joy' which has light green leaves & pink flowers to any number of other leaf colors - from light to dark green, greys and even reds and purples - and the flower colors can be white, pink, purple. sedum also provides winter interest if you leave the flower heads on :) they can get up to 24 inches tall - maybe a little more.

crocus & daffodil for early spring color and there's also an autumn crocus as well.

what about a dwarf spirea? they bloom from spring through fall and only get a couple feet tall and about as wide. hard pruning will keep it check. they come in pink or white flowers

sweet william! the standard red or you could get a white type. starts blooming june or so and continues until frost.

my stella d'oro blooms up until frost.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 am 

Stella's always my faaaavorite.
Plant more stella, lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 am 

I like tulips and crocus in the spring. Then in early summer, iris. Daylilies bloom next with coneflowers and rudbeckia coming in a bit later. In fall, my favorites are a selection of the beautiful mums which come in a rainbow of colors! For winter color, I like boxwood which can be trimmed into fun shapes or simply shaped to fit into your space.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:24 pm 

Try adding some evergreen shrubs to anchor the planting and provide year round interest. Check out:

Ilex crenata 'Green Lustre' for an alternative to Boxwood, or Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' for a deep green broadleaf evergreen

On another note, I think something with contrasting purple leaves would add a lot to your planting bed too...have you ever tried Smoke Bush (Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:39 am 

TheErbGarden wrote:
Try adding some evergreen shrubs to anchor the planting and provide year round interest. Check out:

Ilex crenata 'Green Lustre' for an alternative to Boxwood, or Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' for a deep green broadleaf evergreen

On another note, I think something with contrasting purple leaves would add a lot to your planting bed too...have you ever tried Smoke Bush (Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'?)

Couldn't give you any better advice myself!