The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cross-Pollination
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 am 

Hello, this is my first post here. I have looked and couldnt really find anything on the internet on how to do this. I am not sure if this is even the right section for this question so if it isnt im sorry.

This summer i have been getting a little more interested in flowers and what kind i like. Probably due to moving out in a month or so, so the idea of having my own flowers is exciting. Anyways i was looking to maybe try and get different colors, im sure this is kind of hard. I really know nothing of doing this so i am hoping some of you might.

First, how would one get a blue flower? I know its a primary color, so there is no mixture between two colors that would bring it out right? Or is there a trick too it? Also if i were to keep mixing colors every year with each other, would i end up getting a black flower?

I am wanting to try all of this with some Snapdragons. I only have a wild flower seed pack that is only sprouts at this point. I think the colors are Purple, Yellow, White, maybe pink. Was really hoping to try and make some interesting colors for the next year.

My next question is, no matter how many flowers we have had i have never seen any seeds. When do they come? Do i have to do something to make them show up? Because all the seeds are hard and very small but i have looked over the years and never saw anything. How do i get them, what do i have to do when i get them? Also how hard is it to rub the flowers together to make them cross over. And when i do rub them together, do i only get seeds from those two particular flowers, or do all the seeds from the entire plant contain the mixtures.

Ok i think that is it, sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all the information i need. Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Cross-Pollination
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 pm 

Before you can hope for any seed.....of any plant, shrub, tree, or whatever, it must bloom.
From flowers, you then get seed and the time you harvest them is according to the particular plant. You have to keep an eye out for when the plant flowers and when it goes to seed.

You've seen the dandelions on the lawn....bright yellow flowers...gather them and make dandelion wine....but wait too long and the white clouds of seed are everywhere.
Each flower has a time to live and a time to die....but before it dies it tries to advance its young...by going to seed.

When shrubs have a difficult time to flower, there is a couple ways to encourage it to produce bloom. One is to put it into stress by cutting the outward reaches of its roots...beyond the branch tips. WE encircle the plant cutting the roots there.
Another method employs the use of the element 'phosphurus' which, when the roots take it in, encourages development of roots and bloom. Miracle Gro fertilizer 15/30/15 has its increased contents of phosphurus to perform this task, and why, its a fertilizer especially designed to increase flower production.
And from flowers, we get seed.

As far as cross polination, its not as tricky as you might think. Try doing some research in 'apple orchards' and how to polinate fruit trees. As far as helping plants polinate, do your best to encourage insects that do that around your home. Bees are not the only insect that does this. Butterflies, ants, ladybugs and most any other insect that crawls into a flower, picks up the pollen and visits other plants all in a day's journey.
Plant shrubs and flowers that encourage these visitors to your garden. You are then helping the environment and seeing to us having fruit and vegetables on our dinner table.

Post subject: Re: Cross-Pollination
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 am 

Most of that makes sense. Of course I know nothing about any of this so I guess understanding some is a good start. Thanks for the indepth answers I'm still worried about it. All my snapdragons are in the same pot. And have probably 50 seeds when I put them in. So being to far away is not a problem. Just worried I won't know when the seeds will come.