The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any New plants for 2010?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 pm 

I was just wondering if anyone out there had some new plants in mind to add to the garden this year.... I'm settling into catalog mode and there are a couple nice things I'd like to try once things warm up (whenever that might be for us!)

Hardy cylamen (coum and hederifolium) are what I am most excited about next year. A friend gave me seeds last year and the seedlings look so promising. It's the leaves that I like.

I shouldn't bother, but there's an oriental poppy collection I want from Jung's seed..... I never have luck with poppy roots, but 'Place Pigalle' may sucker me in again....
photo from http://www.estabrooksonline.com

Just a couple other things. I need a couple floribunda roses, 'Livin Easy' and 'easy does it' probably... do you see a trend? and thats about it. I'll try some new seeds, maybe cherry brandy rudbeckia....
photo from http://www.Jungseed.com

Any other good ideas out there? I came across an addicting daylily site... I could always add a hosta or two... I need a spirea "ogon' and can't find one.... I guess I'll just have to see what happens this year!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:30 pm 

About a month ago I added:

acidanthera murielae
hyacinth blue jacket
narcissus grand soleil d'or
daffodil hillstar
anemone blanda mix
muscari armeniacum
dutch iris white perfection
iris danfordiae
allium mix
puschkinia libanotica
anemone de caen mix
crocus jeanne d'arc
scilla siberica
frittilaria meliagris
freesia single mix
ranunculus mixed

To the spring bulb section of my rock garden. Spring bulbs are great because they require pretty much no extra water here, and the bone dry summers actually make it easy to grow some species that are considered difficult. I'm always keen for something I can plant in a remote corner and forget until it pops up a present to reward my benign neglect. ;)

I'm expecting seed for cyclamen hederifolium (from mesagarden) in a few days. Hopefully there's enough time left in the cool season to get them well established. I've found florists cyclamen to do well here, another species that requires zero additional water and also likes shade, so I'm looking to expand the representatives from that genus. If they'll grow under live oaks I've got a ton of room for them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 pm 

I've thought about a couple of new (to me) vegetable varieties. I was on my favorite bamboo site tempted to get a couple more, but I'll have to think about that some more since I still have some in pots.

The first garden show of the year is coming up weekend after next, so I hope to go to that. I always get inspired there and there are plants for sale, so I'll most likely come back with a few.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:42 pm 

promethean- I think you will really like the cyclamen. From the minute they send up their first leaves it's just a constant show of interesting foliage. There's a dormant season, but everyone needs a break now and then! :wink:

I like your bulb additions. Most of them are too tender for me but there are a few I've tried (and failed at) just because they were so tempting anyway. Do you have luck with anemones? I think if I had to pick a fovorite that would be it.

I've been dabbling in daffodils lately. These are some of my favorites but of course I'm adding new ones each year!
Fortissimo
Accent
pistachio

Bamboo is another temptation... but around here they are so much money. The cheapest I've seen is $45 for a small clump. Ouch :( so I'll hang tight on that. Oh and the unplanted pots...... hmmmm..... as much as I try I can't ever get everything in the ground. Right now there's a tiny magnolia, a pipevine, a clematis, a bleeding heart.......all forced to get through the winter above ground.

I want to go with a few more veggies this summer. Pole beans are on the list as well as a new squash or two.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:09 am 

Here's where most of my bamboos came from, http://bamboogarden.com/default.htm. I'm not sure what it would cost to ship them to you, but they have some good prices on gallon sized plants. I only grow clumping varieties since the running boos would take over our property and I don't want to have to worry about that, even if I do put in a barrier. They have a lot of plants and I love wandering through their display garden.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:22 am 

Bamboo is pretty widely available in my area, craigslist can generally score some in short order. There are many bamboo hobby folk that will sell small starts for reasonable prices. My dad has many varieties of running and clumbing bamboos, hopefully it doesn't turn into a disaster. Most of the bamboo collectors don't have extensive barrier systems, they just pot up any rhizomes that try to escape and sell them... I guess if you look at it like $20 bills trying to take over your yard one might keep them in control. :lol:

This is the first time I've tried anenome, so no results as of yet. I got them late in the season (for $1.66/bag...) so if they fail it may just be that they sat too long on the shelf. So far ranunculus, fresias, dutch iris and the hillstar daffodils are coming up.

These are heirloom narcissus that I rescued from the lot next door before they graded it to build a house (along with about 100 naked ladies and an unknown iris), I believe they were remnants from a homestead garden many decades ago. I was able to plant 6 beds like this.
Attachment:
IMGP2862.JPG
IMGP2862.JPG [ 3.55 MiB | Viewed 1234 times ]

Needless to say, they're VERY happy in their new homes compared to fighting with weeds and fieldgrass. This is their second year there and nearly all the bulbs have one or two offsets this year.

Most of the agaves up there will go in the ground eventually. When I get a perimeter fence around the yard the A. americana will go along the inside edge of it so any deer that jump will regret it. :twisted: The cacti and smaller ones will go in the rock garden as it expands.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 am 

Wow. I probably didn't need to look at the bamboo garden website. The prices are reasonable and shipping too (If I order 8 plants! :roll: ) Something to keep in mind in case I really feel like getting into trouble this spring! I will need to add a fargesia one day for sure though, I'm almost embarassed to admit I don't have one yet, haha

promethean- will all those cacti and agaves tolerate the outdoors for you? It amazes me that you can have such a mix from all kinds of hardiness levels in one garden. Very nice. The daffs do look very happy where they are, and I like the stones. Sorry about the deer though. I'm glad they haven't yet found my yard.... just bunnies here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:51 pm 

Kato, you just need to find someone to go in on them with you! :mrgreen: I did that once with our neighbors.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:21 am 

i LIKE that cherry brandy rudebeckia!!! hmm, might have to find a spot for that!! i'd love to have a cyclamen, too...didn't think there were any that were hardy here. and i'd love to have the dutch iris - i'd like to add some of them also...white and maybe a lavendar/purple one.

i LOVE crocus - and planted them the first year i was here...just to watch the squirrels dig up every last one of the 40 i planted...so, no crocus for me :(

i've been wanting to add some pink daffodils - i've not seen them, though, for years. pink, not salmon and all pink. hard to find. i'd also like a nice all-white one. and there's the chocolate delphinium i planned to get last year and then never ordered.

i don't think i'm going to be adding anything this year though. i have the roses that need to be dealt with (the ramblers are completely out of control and need pruning and/or moving and i have two other bush types that need moving) and that's going to take up most of the spring and i've also got the ground ivy/creepy charlie to deal with too. it's just taken over my yard!

the fence out back needs replacing and so do the sidewalks out front and i want the little retaining wall put in by the driveway so i can get that bed looking the way i really want it. each project will directly affect a bed... so, i will have to do a lot of moving things out and back before/after the work is done.

so, i'm really not going to have time to to any new plants, i don't think.

i did get seed from the nelly moser last year and i'm going to try germinating them - they look good (well, compared to those from the previous year which didn't look nearly as full/developed). i can use any plants that develop by where the original is (to make it more full) as well as at the bottom of that pathway. the one nelly is trained up around the handrail on the stairs to the front porch...i'd like to have more growing up the handrail of the other set of stairs down by the front sidewalk.

Last edited by joclyn on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm 

A group order sounds like a good idea... but I find that sometimes I end up spending more! It's as if there's some kind of peer pressure or enabling going on, haha

I put in a seed order over the weekend. The rudbeckia made it as well as a couple of tomatoes. Also some nasturtiums, marigolds, salvia and sunflowers that are going out in the front border along the street. I'm trying to move towards more perennials but the annuals still work good as fillers. As you can tell it's kind of a bright border with all kinds of traffic stopping colors! :oops: Oh and I can't forget the bright cannas that go out there too!

I should probably work on a few projects too..... instead of buying new plants.
I don't admire all the work you have ahead of you Joclyn, it's hard re-doing with plants already there. Sometimes I think you're better off composting all but a few special divsions and giving yourself some breathing room.

I'll let you know if I find a good pink daff, depending on the weather here they usually tend towards salmon, but sometimes there is a good pink!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:42 am 

Walmart has their 20c seed packets in now, so I guess I'll be trying moss rose and lupines in the rock garden. Also butternut squash in the veggie garden, never grown that before...

Here are my rescued naked ladies:

And rescued Iris:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 am 

Wow, you sure did rescue a bunch of the naked ladies... who could resist a damsel in distress? They look great. Have they bloomed for you yet? I hope you post a photo when they do, amaryllis are a favorite of mine and I can't grow them up here..... unless I do the pot thing -which I do manage for a couple of the hybrid types.

Your veggie garden pics look like they are a completely diffrent yard when compared to the cacti and agave plantings. To me cacti and agave just don't fit into talk about butternut squash! :lol: ... but then again we have about 10 inches of snow coming today, so I guess anytalk about plants outside is wishful thinking.

How about that cyclamen I see peeking out from under your iris? Did that come with the iris?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:46 pm 

No, that was part of the original plantings that came with the house. About half of them were too exposed for the summer and died, but the ones that didn't get fried have thrived. They're just the regular florists cyclamen.

I only managed to rescue about 1/20 of the naked ladies that were there, it used to be about a half acre field of them right where there is now a half-built house. The clumps were solid bulbs 3 feet in diameter and hundreds of flowers would pop up int late summer, but it seemed like only a few percent flowered in a given year considering the vast numbers of bulbs... Only about half a dozen flowered for me last fall, probably due to transplant shock, but I'm expecting more this year considering they're not competing with weeds or eachother and have mulch for moisture retention. I probably had photos in thegardengalleries, I may be able to dig up the originals and post them.

That iris was very small when I found it, maybe 4 leaf clusters only a foot tall. It took 18 months to bloom for me (I wasn't sure what it was until then), this may be the first time it's bloomed since it was abandoned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:08 pm 

There's nothing wrong with the plain old florist cyclamen :D

Nice that the iris came back for you, and 18 months might be a while in Cali but here in Pa you're lucky you didn't have to wait two or three years :wink: . Actually some iris I rescued from under an overgrown privet two years ago all died last summer due to too much rain. I don't think they were anything rare but I was sad to see them go. I'm hoping something shows this spring -but I think the rot was pretty complete and it got everything....

But on the plus side last year before the rain I got to divide up some other rescues that started with three small starts and are now divided up into 4 or 5 nice clumps.

This was another rescue that grows and blooms like a weed!

I need to take more pictures this season.... I think this one is at least three years old :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 am 

It's probably not new, but Heuchera 'Green Spice' is not used very often. It has beautiful red veins on a deep green leaf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 am 

I want to grow some Pink Roses next year. I really love them.