The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gnats ????
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:04 pm 

for the last few weeks i have had these little gnats in my house plants. i have tried letting the plants dry out but it's not working its only killing one of my plants. i like to use organic products BUT at this point i will try anything! please help!!!!

Post subject: Re: Gnats ????
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:20 pm 

Sounds like soil flies, their larvae live in soil. Bayer advanced tree and shrub will wipe them out. Water your plants with ~1tbsp/gal solution and that should be the end of them. Note this product is not for edible plants.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:19 pm 

Hi,

I have heard of people using gnatrol or something like that. It is a bacteria that attacks the gnat larve. It is a lot safer than using pesticides. You should be able to find it at a garden center.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:52 am 

thank you both! but i found a tip online for using sand..it said to put 1"-2" layer of sand (from the beach or bought sand) and that it would trap the gnats in there and kill the eggs and idk if it killed the eggs but i did it about a week ago and i'm yet to have any gnats in my house!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:41 am 
Administrator

I always have some in the house. I have fly trap paper that comes in 6x 2" sheets. They are cheap and I put them in all indoor growing areas to monitor the populations.
Good topdressing, I don't recommend sand unless it is almost pebble size. Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol 70%) helps and has not harmed any plant that attract the fungus gnats.
To monitor the grubs that do the damage cut some potato slices and lay it ontop of he soil.
Pick it up and check in 30-60 minutes and you can get a feel for how bad the infestation is.
The adults can't stand moving air(very weak flyers). I have ceiling fans on durring the day and that also will help with other unwanted critters.
Bayer tree and shrub uses imidacloprid. A great systemic insecticide. I use it only on high value Agaves and young Barrel Cactus.
Use it if you must but if in the house clean all surfaces it comes into contact with and there is no need to use any higher concentration than PS wrote.
Good luck,
AZED

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:28 am 

Fungus gnats... what a terrible pest!
Sand works well.
Potatoes, also.

What works without a doubt is an item sold under the name Mosquito Dunks. Carrying the active ingredient Bacillus thuringiensis var. israilensis. Regular application of this will eradicate your fungus gnat infestation.

This will help everything!
Good luck! (They are pesky little buggers!!!)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:41 pm 

well thanks guys all of those ideas are great how ever my plant that was infested died.......put thats ok going to let the soil dry out and try something else!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:49 pm 

You have evidently found the reason they're there....moisture....the gnats like it damp and you are right to cut back some on your watering. The gnats thrive because debris in the soil rot down and provides them food and a place to nest their young...the eggs and larvae.
Not watering so much deprives of them of so much rotting material.

Yellow strips of plastic, about 1/2" wide, 2" long, coated with petroleium jelly makes a good trap. You just collect the strips, clean them of the bugs, re-coat and you're away to the races.

Taking a kitchen fork to the soil once in a while to disturb the larvae can upset their gestation period.