The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:54 am 

We need to get a new whole house filter and I was wondering if there's a problem with using softened water on houseplants. I've read mixed reviews on the topic, none of which convinced me either way. It is said that the extra sodium in the water is bad for some. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Water Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:05 pm 

i would not use softened water. the salts can be toxic to so many plants. to get around it, put in a tap before the softener unit so that you can draw untreated water.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 am 

Thanks for your reply. I'd sure like to find something besides a salt system, because I like to put my big plants under the shower now and then. We had an ozone system, but we lost the people who knew how to keep it working. It's a touchy system, but does a great job when it's working.

Some neighbors down the road have iron free water and not much of a hardness problem. Lucky them! We could drill to China and may not get water that good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:39 pm 

The plants should be fine with a shower now and then, I have extremely hard water and my plants love the shower. Some of hte stuff in the water like chlorine is dissipated when it comes down. If you want to soften the plants water, put a tablespoon of vinegar in about 2 gallons of water and test it for PH and adjust from there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:18 am 

I don't know what kind of water I have (JUST WATER) HA HA HA HA !!!!! My Aunt Mary use to put water into bucket and let the water sit for a week b4 she used the water. I can still see those buckets all lined up in a row. :) Our water comes out of the tap and it is city water. Nothing else.

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 am 

luv2grdn wrote:
We need to get a new whole house filter and I was wondering if there's a problem with using softened water on houseplants. I've read mixed reviews on the topic, none of which convinced me either way. It is said that the extra sodium in the water is bad for some. Any thoughts?

I am not clear about your problem but i want to tell you about some important site which are so helpful.Which are http://www.growgreatplants.com/,http:// ... mited.com/,
http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/,http:/ ... owers.com/.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:27 am 

luv2grdn wrote:

I don't think so there would be problem of softened water..Might be possible it can be due to salty water. Any ways, Why don't you use filtration method against it ? It is quite effective one..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm 

Talk to a plumber. The use of potassium, in place of salt, is a possibility in your softening system. Potassium does not cause harm to plant roots as salt does.
You really should have arranged an outside tap off the system for use on gardens, lawns and washing ole Betsy.

Post subject: Water for plants
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:57 pm 

Yes, luv2grdn you say right that extra sodium in water harms the plants. To grow plants smoothly it is necessary to give soft water that does not have sodium. I want to say you joclyn that salt can be toxic to many plants but not all plants.