The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 am 

Hello, folks! I haven't been over on this forum in quite awhile, but thought I'd share some of my houseplants with you. They were begging to be snapped! :P

Since I managed to keep this variegated African Violet alive...it put out its 1st bud (since I bought it):
Click for larger views~

(Saintpaulia what? I don't know...ionantha?)
Image Image

a couple days later..the bloom! :D I know, it's only ONE, but I LIKE it! :lol:

Image Image Image

Now to go peruse the forum...see what I've been missin'! :D

This Chlorophytum orchidastrum 'Fireflash' was glowing! (appropriate name, I think!) And the Maranta leuconeura kerchoveana was struttin' its stuff!:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:45 am 

Houseplants...I had no idea :o I'm guessing these aren't on the SOS program :) Your Violet looks great. I haven't gotten to the point of keeping AV's alive yet.
I love Fireflash! That color is fantastic. Maranta leuconeura kerchoveana is looking wonderful.

Okay, what other houseplants have you been hiding from us? :)

Foxy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 am 

foxykitten350234 wrote:

Yes, please do tell, inquiring minds wanna know. (nosey to be exact :lol: :wink: )

Lovely Fireflash, I love it! The AV is beautiful also, I almost picked one up yesterday, but had a little guilt because of the others I'd bought. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:56 pm 

Thanks, Ladies! :)
foxykitten350234 wrote:
Houseplants...I had no idea :o I'm guessing these aren't on the SOS program :) Your Violet looks great. I haven't gotten to the point of keeping AV's alive yet.
I love Fireflash! That color is fantastic. Maranta leuconeura kerchoveana is looking wonderful.

Foxy.

Ha ha...I think I was up to 3 dozen or so (houseplants) at one point. Thing is, they ARE on the SOS program...that's why there haven't been as many survivors. :roll: I had 2 AV's & the other croaked. This one is more than a year old (I think)...so that's something to celebrate. On the kitchen counter, it can't be ignored. :P

I love the color of C. 'Fireflash' too. That's what attracted me to it in the 1st place. :)
How can anyone not love these Marantas? I have another that's barely hanging on by its 3 leaves. :oops:

I have taken pix of the other guys at some point or other, but I transferred pix to flash drives & CDs & am having trouble locating ones I want.

I have some run-of-the-mill plants (like Pothos, Spider plant, Corn/Dracaena) & some variegated types Philo 'Brasil' plus a scraggy Hoya that has never bloomed. Not real exciting...but ALIVE. :P

Quote:
Rhonda: Yes, please do tell, inquiring minds wanna know. (nosey to be exact :lol: :wink: )

Lovely Fireflash, I love it! The AV is beautiful also, I almost picked one up yesterday, but had a little guilt because of the others I'd bought. :oops:
No need for guilt, when it's a healthy habit, Rhonda!

Was that enough for the inquiring minds?? :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 am 

Good to see ya down in these parts! :D That fireflash is a nice looking plant. Is it on the non toxic list for pets? Our cats can't be trusted around plants.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:22 am 

Unfortunately it's related to spider plants which can cause mild stomach aches in dogs, not sure about cats.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:31 am 

Hi There, Sharon! Sorry if I put you in shock! :P :shock: Yep, I was cruising the forums. :)

From what I see online, & AFAIK, Chlorophytum are not toxic or poisonous. My cat doesn't touch mine, but he chews on several others (the Parlor Palm barely has any fronds left :roll: and the other Maranta I have has been nibbled extensively).

Here's a site that has several houseplant & shows toxicity (or non) of each:
http://www.library.okstate.edu/vetmed/a ... plants.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:14 am 

Thanks for the link. I have a couple of sites bookmarked for that purpose, but just thought one of the pet owners here would know.

I recovered from the shock. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:51 am 

Rosemarie wrote:
Hi There, Sharon! Sorry if I put you in shock! :P :shock: Yep, I was cruising the forums. :)

From what I see online, & AFAIK, Chlorophytum are not toxic or poisonous. My cat doesn't touch mine, but he chews on several others (the Parlor Palm barely has any fronds left :roll: and the other Maranta I have has been nibbled extensively).

Here's a site that has several houseplant & shows toxicity (or non) of each:
http://www.library.okstate.edu/vetmed/a ... plants.htm

thanks for the link...I didn't know all those plants had some affects on animals. (YIPES)

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:34 pm 

hmm, it says euphorbia decaryii is non-toxic???

And it didn't mention that with all the saopins Sansevieria has you'll end up bubbling if you eat it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:01 pm 

Okay, maybe I should've checked a bit further before posting the link. Like anything online, they don't always get it right. Some of the info should be useful.

Warning: Use info with caution. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 pm 

one good thing about the list is it did say Sansevieria is toxic, most do not. I hold every plant suspect. If somebody in it's family is toxic, then everybody from the family is also by default.

All aroids are considered toxic in my book. That includes Dracenea, Diffenbachia, philos, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:07 am 

Hi RoseMarie,

Very nice bloom on your variegated violet. Ionantha is a species violet. You violet is definitely a hybrid. There is really no way to know what the name is. There were over 15,000 named varieties last time I checked and that was years ago. Just call it an African violet or if you want it to have a name then make one up. Regardless, it is a nice looking plant! You obviously take good care of it.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:31 am 

Hi Larry!

Thanks for the info & the nice compliment! I was guessing at the name. I should've known it wouldn't be so simple. :roll: Happy to have it, named or not. Especially happy not to have killed it like the other one I bought with it. :P It has bloomed again recently. I think it likes the kitchen counter where I am reminded of it daily...so not to forget about its care. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:06 am 

My, oh, my! How the worm turns!

Golly, I don't have anything but envy and regard. I'm so far away from plant care...
Gee, did'ja miss me? Wonder why I've not been here? Not so much, with plants.

Roma those are in fine condition. My camera died... another reason. Perhaps I'll hijack DH's camera and take pix of Work Plants that look like 'I care'!

Yep, still alive. Sorry, I've neglected friends!
~Cena

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 pm 

Cena, I'm so glad to see you posting!

Foxy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:10 am 

That is one plant the African violet I have good luck with. I don't kill many of them. (HA) I have about 10 or 12 African violet. I haven't counted recently.

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 pm 

Cena, where'd you go? Pop in...pop out? Did your hubby give you a new camera for Christmas?

Well-this plant has bloomed a few times for me since I 1st posted. It likes the kitchen counter & I won't DARE to move it now. I must have set a personal record for how long I've kept this one alive.

I'd love to see more pix of your AVs, Ginny! :D (and any tips for their care) :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:35 pm 

Only tip I can tell anyone about AV is they don't like direct sun, and I keep them on window sills, so they gets cool in winter time next to window, they seem to like it thou. And I only water them about once a week or even a little less. I have a water meter NOW (Just recently purchased one) and they get dry then I water them again. But b4 I had a water meter I use to water them about once a week. And in order to bloom they like to be pot bound. Also take dead flowers off after blooming. My African violet bloom a lot or maybe I think they do because I have a lot to bloom so I don't miss the ones that aren't blooming, because not all are blooming at the same time. Like now I have some that isn't blooming and some that are.

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:54 am 

I just counted how many AV I have and I have 14 and 6 are blooming. So with 14 some are always blooming.

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:48 pm 

ginny wrote:
I just counted how many AV I have and I have 14 and 6 are blooming. So with 14 some are always blooming.

14 violets and 6 are blooming means they must like what you are doing for them.

Cena,

Hi! It's nice to see you here again! I know you have been fairly (an understatement) busy lately.

I am sorry that I haven't been here for a while. I had trouble logging on for almost a month, maybe more. I tried again today and success. I will post some of my newest blooms soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 am 

One of the tricks to good AV care is REGULAR FERTILIZATION. You might be wondering why those are all in caps.... Well, I've got THREE plant species that need this treatment, and lets just lay a bet (you pick all odds) on how many have gotten what....

I SUCK at FERT!!!

There is a product, just for violets, that allows droplet application to the irrigation water. (Wait, does that sound industrial????) I've got a bottle, buried somewhere. Need to take it to work because I was Very Foolish when I transferred back to my old/new job. Now the poor thing (since my new/new job) doesn't get the light and I'm HOPING it is NOT doomed.

Off to post Hoya pix elsewhere! (Maybe, depending on battery life....)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 am 

I have to agree with Cena, regular fertilization is a must. My mother tends to help me all time with fertilising my african violets. Im hoping they bloom better this cycle.

Love your pics by the way Rosemarie :wink: