The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: african violets in bloom
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:37 pm 

3 african violet in bloom, I have about 15. I keep them mostly on my windows sills in every room.

Attachments:
File comment: purple african violet in bloom
000_2276.jpg
000_2276.jpg [ 637.88 KiB | Viewed 847 times ]
File comment: light pink african violet in bloom
000_2283.jpg
000_2283.jpg [ 437.56 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]
File comment: pink african violet in bloom
000_2286.jpg
000_2286.jpg [ 551.4 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:26 pm 

Those are purdy. My grandmother grew them, but I never have.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:41 am 

Every time I've tried I've got thrips really bad, so I gave up long ago. They sure are pretty though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:38 pm 

Very pretty! I just became a mama to 5 African violet plants. The lady that gave them to me said she could no longer take care of them. I hope (after some TLC) that mine are as pretty as yours are when they bloom!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 am 

Just a few words of advise...I keep mine NOT in direct sun light. or not all day sun a little sun but a lot of light. I keep mine on windowsill or tables next to windows. However, they are easy to start. Just put a leave in water, the leave do not like to touch the water nor dirt either. So when I start leaves I usually cut holes in alumium foil and poke the leave stem thru to the water, that way they stay out of water. I also water from bottom, in saucer. Very rarely do I water from top. I don't give them much feed, and I do it when I remember about every 6 month or less. I use those stick things you just poke in the soil. And I only water about once a week. Get yourself a water meter. I just recently purchased one and I don't know how I ever lived without one. (HA)

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 pm 

Thanks for the information! I've been kinda wanting a water meter, so this is a good excuse to get one. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:23 pm 

lovely!!

i have one the same color as the first purple one. i have 6 total - 2 of the dark purple, one's white with pink in it, another is solid pink, another is a lighter shade of purple and one hasn't bloomed yet. i also have one that is in the same family (has much larger leaves and flowers though) and that one is a really dark purple.

i found that they do best with western exposure to get good blooms (southwest is also good). on a rack with grow lights is even better since it's more consistant light (i use timers and set them to be on for about 12 hours daily).

i use the self watering av pots and wouldn't ever switch to anything else. they thrive in those pots *just make sure to use the av soil*. i don't fertilize at all and they grow, and bloom, like crazy!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:08 pm 

joclyn wrote:
lovely!!

i have one the same color as the first purple one. i have 6 total - 2 of the dark purple, one's white with pink in it, another is solid pink, another is a lighter shade of purple and one hasn't bloomed yet. i also have one that is in the same family (has much larger leaves and flowers though) and that one is a really dark purple.

i found that they do best with western exposure to get good blooms (southwest is also good). on a rack with grow lights is even better since it's more consistant light (i use timers and set them to be on for about 12 hours daily).

i use the self watering av pots and wouldn't ever switch to anything else. they thrive in those pots *just make sure to use the av soil*. i don't fertilize at all and they grow, and bloom, like crazy!!

Your sound pretty too. What is a self watering av pot. I never heard of them or if I did I didn't know I did. Can you describe the pot for me???

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm 

Hi Ginny,
It's easier to show a couple pictures than describe them. It is a glazed catch pot with a clay insert which soaks the water up through the walls, it works much like a capilary mat. You plant in the insert part then fill the resevour and it waters itself. Some have holes on to so you can see the water level or add fertilizers.

With insert outside

It's a poor Hoya bella in the pot. It looks sad, but this is the first bella I've been able to keep alive for more than a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:10 am 

Mentha wrote:
Hi Ginny,
It's easier to show a couple pictures than describe them. It is a glazed catch pot with a clay insert which soaks the water up through the walls, it works much like a capilary mat. You plant in the insert part then fill the resevour and it waters itself. Some have holes on to so you can see the water level or add fertilizers.

With insert outside

It's a poor Hoya bella in the pot. It looks sad, but this is the first bella I've been able to keep alive for more than a few minutes.

I have never seen such a pot in stores, maybe a place on internet they have them for sale. Where do you buy yours locally???

I just killed my aloe vera. I didn't think I was watering it too much but apparently I was...(SIGH) Next time I see an aloe vera I'll buy but won't water only about every 3 months I think. I was using a water meter too and would let it go until completely dry by the meter, but apparently...well sigh!!!

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 pm 

The first time I had them I bought them from the ceramic's shop and cleaned & glazed them myself, but this one came from Walmart. I'd love to get into ceramics & porcelain again, but it can get expensive with the firing & all, still cheaper than buying one.
I'd ask at a garden shop for "African Violet Self Watering Pots" They should be able to order you some. I would think ordering one online wouldn't be practical as they weigh a bit to send.

You could also make your own with a soda bottle. I made some. I can't say they were a complete success, because some of the plants I had questions about didn't like them, but some plants really surprised me and took off. They would be perfect for AV's. I used an old knife heated on the stove to cut into the bottles because I didn't have a soldering iron. I also used yarn as a wick.

http://toppertwo.tripod.com/pop_bottle_pots.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:32 am 

Mentha, That is a great web site you provided, however, she has moved. Besides the soda bottles she has lots of other things on her web site including recipes and cooking too. It a great place for me to explore. I printed off how to make pot bottles. I don't have a solidering iron either and I can't heat a knife either since my stove is electric, it has one of those glass tops too. So I might have to invest in a solidering iron if I want to make them. Well I guess I add this to things to do. (LIKE that I need more (HA) First I'll gotta save some pop bottles. I'm going to go back and look at more of that web site for sure.

http://www.toppers-place.com/

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 am 

They are beautiful, Ginny! Love that blue! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:36 am 

Ginny, if you don't want to invest in a soldering iron you could use the flame from a candle or one of those gadgets for lighting candles to heat up a knife.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:47 am 

Excellent idea Foxy! I never thought of one of those candle lighting flame throwers before, it would save on gas. I was thinking the next time she BBQ's. FYI, my aroids really loved the new pots. They are healthy looking for the first time and producing leaves!

Ginny,
Soldering irons aren't that expensive I think about $10-15 tops. and that would pay the first two pots you make.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 am 

Mentha wrote:
Excellent idea Foxy! I never thought of one of those candle lighting flame throwers before, it would save on gas. I was thinking the next time she BBQ's. FYI, my aroids really loved the new pots. They are healthy looking for the first time and producing leaves!

Ginny,
Soldering irons aren't that expensive I think about $10-15 tops. and that would pay the first two pots you make.

Foxy, That is a good idea the flame throwers...

Mentha, Next time I'm in my craft store, I will have to check on a soldering iron thou. I have printed off how you make those pop bottle pots too.

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 am 

Hi Ginny,

Very nice looking blooms on your violets!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:36 am 

Ginny, a question if you will. We are told to water only as the plant requires it, and to dump
the excess in the saucer below, never to let the plant re-draw it up. Now I realize
A.V.'s are recommended to be watered from below, does that suggest that you fill the saucer and let the plant decide how much it takes, then dump, or do you just let it take what it will and leave it to take more.
I was given two plants by my neighbor for caring for her plants while she was away on a cruise, so I am obliged to keep them going----she is a regular visitor to my home...and if she was to see anything untoward happening to her babies, I'd feel real bad.
They are right now, in bloom, have been for the two weeks I've had them and I know not to let the leaves be wetted but my sense of what's good for my other plants tells me to water carefully from the top, let them drain, then dump what comes into the saucer.

As one who has success with many, what do you prescribe for us who believe in the other way.