The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:43 pm 

I bought a very large (6 foot) white bird of paradise about 6 weeks ago. I've had a problem with the leaves getting brown/rust patches and yellowing. I water about every 2 weeks or so, and feel the bottom holes to see if it needs it. I set it in a 5-gallon pail so the water runs out freely.

The plant sits in front of a south-west patio door, which gets full sun in the winter and light in the summer.
The plant is constantly putting out new leaves, so that's a relief. But I am worried about the existing leaves. I've got about 4 leaves in various stages. I haven't fertilized it since I got it, and it's in the original soil and pot.
Attachment:
BOP Leaf 1.JPG
BOP Leaf 1.JPG [ 604.48 KiB | Viewed 404 times ]
Attachment:
BOP Leaf 2.JPG
BOP Leaf 2.JPG [ 611.82 KiB | Viewed 399 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 pm 

it's probably just residual 'stress' from being moved to a new location. the soil may be old as well and it may be overly rootbound - which is not a problem as it's almost time to be able to repot it.

it's been in your home for long enough to have adjusted to conditions there and the weather is warming up, so it'll be going into full-growth period and that's always the best time to repot.