The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:02 pm 

A friend gave me a section of her plant, and I don't know what it is. It's been suggested on another forum it could be a type of BOP, but the leaves aren't as big and thick. (I have a white BOP). The growth habitat is similar though in that the new leaves come out from the horizontal base of the plant. I know that doesn't make sense, but I'm not sure how to explain it.[img]
Attachment:
Jan%2015%20Mystery%20Plant.JPG
[/img]

Attachments:
Jan 15 Mystery Plant.JPG
Jan 15 Mystery Plant.JPG [ 627.95 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:17 am 

was it on roots or a tuber?

any possibility of getting pics of the parent plant in flower?

looks like it could be an aroid. maybe an anthurium? possibly a philodendron.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:33 am 

Hi Jocelyn,
The parent looks like this one, except larger of course. Many more leaves.
The root is a rhizome with roots growing along the length of it. Quite large and very healthy.
It was suggested it might be an aroid, but from googling, I don't see the similarity. I did learn that my ZZ plant is an aroid though. :-)

I'm leaning towards it might be a traveler palm. I guess I won't know for sure till it grows up.
If it is a palm, hopefully it's easier to grow than most.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:41 pm 

From what I can tell from the picture it doesn't look like an aroid. Aroids have a sheath left where the leaves emerged. I don't see that on this plant. I'm also thinking it looks like some kind of palm, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on palms to tell for sure.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:21 pm 

i googled traveler palm and that does seem to match. does the parent plant grow in a fan formation??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:45 pm 

I emailed the girl I got the plant from and asked if she could send me a picture. I really don't remember them growing as a fan.....just a bunch of skinny leaves on long stems like mine is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:22 am 

I gotta tell you this plant is driving me crazy.lol I know I have seen it somewhere before and I feel like I should know what it is. If you do get an ID please let us know.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:55 am 

here are some pictures and some info.

seems to be NOT a palm...it's in the same family as bird of paradise. i'd also say that as it matures, it'll morph a little and the leaves will change a bit...on the pic page there's only a couple that match your plant...all the rest of the pics seem to be mature specimens. and they get huge! although, if kept a bit root-bound it may stay in the juvenile form.

if you can get a pic of the mother plant, that will help with id...since most of the pics i see, after googling, are of plants that look fairly different (except for those couple) i'm not positive this is a good id. so, i think looking at the parent plant will really be of help to confirm the id (or knock it out completely).

it's a pretty plant, regardless of what it is, that's for sure!

Last edited by joclyn on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:53 am 

foxykitten350234 wrote:
I know I have seen it somewhere before

I know I did too. (on the other forum ;) ) I still think it's some sort of aroid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:13 pm 

Quote:
I know I did too. (on the other forum ;) )

I haven't been to any other plant forums lately so that isn't the case for me :)

Quote:
I still think it's some sort of aroid.

Unless jasdip tells us she removed the sheaths, I can't go with aroid as a possibility.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 am 

Hi all,
The baby now, looks like a traveler's palm, just because the base is in a straight line. BUT the mother plant definitely was not a TP. Thank God, can you imagine, if it got that big indoors??

So I'm still stuck. Regardless it's a nice little plant. It'd driving me crazy, cause I've seen it before. That's why I commented on the parent plant, didn't expect to get a piece of it, so I'm glad. The search continues......

Maybe I should just take a pic myself of the mother plant.....

Thanks for your help in finding a name for this poor soul, doomed to be nameless....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm 

from what i read about it, if it's kept in a container and is purposely kept a bit rootbound, it won't get nearly as big as it would when it's in the ground and the roots have unbounded room to grown.

so, it could still be a tp. if the baby blooms for you, then you'll know - they bloom green and look similar to the bird of paradise flowers. i'd still like to see a pic of the parent plant if you can get one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:00 am 

Well! My little previously unknown-for-sure plant has a name! It's a dracaena thalioides!
Now I have to see what it needs, but at least he has an identity! lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:51 am 

Oh wow...it's been a long time since I've seen a Dracaena thalioides! I hope you get a chance to see its blooms:

http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/boga/html ... _Foto.html