The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Avocado plant?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:31 pm 

Hello all,

I don't know if anyone remembers me, I came on here about a year ago, and asked some questions about identifying different plants I had.

I currently don't have anything planted outside, but I'm hoping to plant something else this Spring.

I just thought that people on here might like to see how my avacado plant, that I'm growing indoors is coming along. It is doing really good, even in this really cold Montana weather we are having!

I'm just growing it into a nice houseplant, I'm not hoping for any fruit. It is a fun project, and really simple to do.

Also, I have another houseplant doing really well. It's about time to take some starters off of it and start growing another one.

Here are the pictures:

Post subject: Avocado tree
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:43 pm 

how do you start avocado pits?
i have always been tempted to try this but never knew how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:12 pm 

Hello,

This is the site that got me interested.

http://www.avocado.org/about/growing-avocado

If you follow their instructions it is very easy.

All I did, was wash off the seed. (Hold on to the seed good, because they are slippery when wet.) Poke three toothpicks in to hold it upright. (With the pointy end up.) And then suspend it over a small glass of water.

Keep it out of sunlight. And just come back every so often when the water gets low and keep it filled up so about half of the seed is under water.

When it starts to sprout up the top and get's about 6 inchs long, (in a few weeks or so) then trim it back a little so it can grow stronger. And when the end thats in the water has sprouted, I planted mine in a small container with just regular dirt in it. (The site above, suggest a rich humus soil but I didn't do that, because I didn't know what that meant.) Leave a little of the pointy top part showing.

And then I just keep watering mine whenever it dries out. Keeping it moist. I keep mine by a window where it gets plenty of sun.

Hope this helps. There really isn't much to it. It might sound hard, but it really is very easy to grow them.

Post subject: Re: Avocado plant?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:50 pm 

Garden grower,
When you grow your avocados do the leaves turn brown at the tips and edges? Last year I had at least 13 plants growing at different stages, and they all did that at some point, so I ended up by just throwing them all out.

I did get 2 very large pits in some avocados recently and just had to succumb to rooting them again. They are sprouting.......one pit has 3 stems and leaves growing out of it. I'd like to be able to grow them where the leaves stay solid green instead of brown and crisp edges.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:54 pm 

Hello!

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while.

No my avocado plant has not gotten crispy edges from just letting it sit there. It has however gotten a couple leaves edges burned when it was sitting up against a coffee pot, and then an iron. :P But it is still doing GREAT! I trimmed off the burnt edges with scissors and it still has all green leaves. :)

I'll post a picture of it later today if I get the time.

My advice is to keep them out of direct sunlight, that could be doing it. Or over/under watering them too. You only need to water them when they get dry. (Every couple days). And before any leaves appear, you need to keep it out of any sun at all. I just keep mine on the kitchen counter next the the sink so I can water it when it gets low. Then when it sprouts, you are supposed to cut it back and let it sprout again, then transplant it to a container or pot. And then I keep mine near a window.

I hope this information helps you. Keep me posted on how you do with your next ones. (I started a couple more a few weeks ago.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:17 pm 

Okay, here are the updated pictures of my avocado plant. It was kind of dusty, but I didn't notice that until the dust showed up in the pictures. It looks kind of interesting though, so I decided to use these anyway.

Attachments:
dusty leaf.jpg
dusty leaf.jpg [ 68.08 KiB | Viewed 2064 times ]
Top view.jpg
Top view.jpg [ 84.23 KiB | Viewed 2058 times ]
top view whole plant.jpg
top view whole plant.jpg [ 97.12 KiB | Viewed 2061 times ]
whole plant.jpg
whole plant.jpg [ 85.14 KiB | Viewed 2058 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:18 pm 

As you can see in the pictures, one of the leaves are damaged. But that just grew that way, I'm not sure what is wrong with it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:30 am 

Last edited by foxykitten350234 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 pm 

Yeah, that's probably what happened. There was ladybugs around. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:21 pm 

Gardengrower,
Don't your avvies get brown edges as they get older? Mine are always fine as a youngster but when they get taller/older they tend to have brown crispy edges which ticks me off.
Here's a pic of my little guy. He has 4 stems coming out of one pit, which makes it nice.

I tend to pot 4 pits in a pot so they can have a bushy appearance when they grow.

Attachments:
Avocado.JPG
Avocado.JPG [ 714.57 KiB | Viewed 1363 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 pm 

Oooh, that looks nice! :) Well...I've never grown these before now, so I haven't ever gotten a very tall one yet. So we will see what happens with this one. I have four more going good too. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:07 pm 

I have grown a number of avocado plants over the years; one I had in Boston for 10 or 15 years, and it finally got some sort of tumor on the trunk and slowly died.

I always put them outside for the warmer months (when there is no danger of frost) and they really benefit from that. Move them gradually to a sunny spot; if you put them in the sun right away without getting them used to outside light first the leaves will burn. The one I had in Boston grew so much every year during its summers outside I had to chop off a couple of feet to bring it back in the house. This helped keep it bushy, though.

You will get some damaged leaves from time to time; but if all the leaves are turning brown at the edges maybe they aren't getting enough moisture? Perhaps they are potbound? I let mine grow until it was in a pot as big as I could comfortably lift (to take it out and bring it in each year) and then pruned it to control the size. You can prune the roots too if necessary; I used to do that occasionally. Watch for scale insects - mine have gotten infestations, but I control them with alcohol on a q-tip.

I have one now that is looking good - it's about a year and a half old and three feet high, and growing nice and bushy.

They won't produce fruit in pots, and anyway avocado trees can't pollinate themselves, so there needs to be at least two trees to get fruit. They are lovely decorative house plants, though.

Helen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm 

Planted avocados rarely produce good tasting fruit. Best option is to get a grafted plant. The Lamb Hass is the latest variety much larger than the hass
http://www.wiltedleaf.com/3/what-is-the-latest-and-greatest-avocado-variety

Post subject: Re: houseplants
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 pm 

Hey GardenGrower! Would you please tell me that how many houseplants you have?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:18 pm 

Cool avacado, but a really nice Syngonium!!