The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cymb Orchid Bonanza!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:23 pm 

As promised, pictures!

The largest of the lot, as you can see it is in bad need of division.

Yep, I fit the whole lot in my car and drove home.

Of all the plants only two flower spikes, both on the same plant. :roll:

New growth!

Purrum, aka Pretty Girl had to come help with the picture taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:08 pm 

That's quite a haul you made. I worked in a greenhouse a long time ago and they had one house with them. I'd go there for some of my breaks to enjoy the flowers and once a month or so everyone would be sent home with several flower spikes, so my mother and grandmother really enjoyed those days.

Have fun and I look forward to lots of flower pics in the future!

Post subject: Re: Cymb Orchid Bonanza!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:06 pm 

Quite sneaky of you, Mentha! :P

Since I started working full time, with lots of over time I've not been the gardener I used to be. The plants are all still there, they just spend a lot more time taking care of themselves (or not)! So, cym blooms this season are slow and slight. I did remember to get in two ferts going into fall with Bloom Booster, but... I also snapped some bloom stalks hauling them out to do it. Flower formation and opening has come earlier this year, with that heat snap we've had down here. Coupla days in the high 70's and low 80's. I've taken some pix, but not uploaded them yet.

The site has changed So Much in the time I've been gone, not even sure what I'm doing! I'll track down the pix and post some.

Those orchids look in Really Good shape even though they are over grown. When you get some time I would start dividing and potting up. One very successful (as the the prices he gets for three pbulbs and a bloom stalk) grower here makes his own soil mix that is SUPER lite, always pots divisions (three bulbs per) right up against the side of a one gallon black landscaper pot with the newest bulb facing into the pot, oldest on the edge. I'm going to start trying that.

Found that rolled rim pots with under trays are NOT the best for cyms. Nearly lost one of my largest that way through inattention and standing water.

Your girl is very sweet, and reminds me of my Jasmine.

For anyone else reading here, wondering where the heck I've been... I lost Jasmine the end of August and had to find a new hobby to take the place of a Lap Cat. So, in the following link you can see some of what I've been doing... (Yeah, I DEFINATELY needed another hobby :roll: !)
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcNG7JozatFGQQ

Post subject: Re: Cymb Orchid Bonanza!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:23 pm 

I must confess, my orchids do not look all too good, they have taken to the cold by letting the leaves brown. I'll leave the leaves until it warms up, since the p'bulbs are alive and kicking otherwise. I figured the insulation would do them some good.

I just got a vanilla orchid today. I just go home in fact. It was a really good price ($20) for a 2 stem 3 ft tall plant! It was at the farmers market today. I almost got a lemon tree, but saw the orchid guy and was sucked in by vanilla, yum. Pictures to come, but I'm off to take a nap, been up since 5:30.