The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hey Foxy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:19 pm 

Hey Lady,
It's been years since I've took the time to try and grow a pothos, (not just let it exist) I have one with streamers which are about 3-5 ft long, but some of them have yellowing leaves. No spider mites, gave it a good shower a few days ago, and still yellow falling leaves. I have it next to a west facing window, could it be a draft causing the problem? I know I'll eventualy have bare stems, but I want to prevent this as long as possible.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:25 pm 

Keep in mind I snapped all the yellow leaves I could see off three days ago when it got it's shower.

This is a NOID, which does seem to have a few spider mites, it's going into the shower in a few minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:18 pm 

pothos does best when growing upwards - although it will do okay with the growth hanging down.

i had similar yellowing of leaves on the vines a couple years ago...as soon as i propped them up on a trellis, they thrived.

they'll also go yellow if they aren't getting enough water and/or are allowed to dry out too much.

you might want to unpot and see if it's rootbound and needs a larger container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:06 pm 

Sorry for the delay in seeing this post.

If a plant has been living in not so great conditions for some time one good watering will not cause an immediate turn around. Yellow leaves will not return to healthy leaves and some more leaves will still turn yellow after the fact. If your plant is new it might be responding to the shock of moving to a new environment. This will also take some time to sort out.

I live in a house that was built in 1850. Drafts are a way of life here and good replacement windows don't even stop cold spots from happening. Keeping the heat at 62 doesn't help my plants either.lol My non cold sensitive plants deal with this pretty well as long as they aren't actually touching the windows. I'm wondering if your West facing windows might be a little too bright for the Pothos. I keep mine in a sheltered south facing window.

If you like the cascading effect from the vines growing down then don't worry about it. Growing on a trellis will produce larger leaves, but it won't stop leaves from yellowing. I do however agree that a repot might be in order. Lack of water is a big cause of yellow leaves. As you know tight pots can be the cause of watering problems. Over watering can also cause yellow leaves.

Foxy.