The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paging Cena or Ooojen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:42 pm 

Hi ladies, I know you're both into cymbs I was wondering if either of you could give some pointers on keeping them alive. A nursery offered some up on freecycle for pickup this weekend. I'm not sure what they look like, but the last time they cleaned the greenhouse, the plants had snails and scale. I'm going to try my luck on this batch and drive the 120 miles to pick some up. Either way I'll need to know how to remove the scale without killing the orchids.

Thanks,
I'll post pictures if I do decide to get some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:28 am 

I would try a heavy gun pesticide to start, just because you Don't Know what lives in there. Bayer... whichever.

You will need to keep in mind that Right Now is bloom season for Cyms. And base your fert schedule on this time table. I was heavy feeding in Oct/Nov for the expected bloom flush. I will have blooms from last week until nearly June!!! (Yay. Well, maybe. Depends on feeding, care, weather.)

Once acclimated Cyms can take the gamut of temps. Well, in SoCal! They need the distinct 20 degree dip at night to initiate bloom, and they like the humidity that coastal living provides. With a bit of shade they can take as much light as you can provide.

You will know if they are in revolt, the leaves will bleach and Tell You they Do Not Like the amount of sun provided!!!

I think Cyms could be much like Epi's and be really, really greedy on the 'food front'.

Cyms have fat, spider leg roots. They are even fatter than lively phal roots! A medium to coarse grade bark is good for repotting. I get some from a grower that uses no bark What So Ever, but the soil he uses is so light I can't figure out what is in it. (And HES not telling AnyOne!!!)

Good luck and drop a dime or a PM if you have more questions. Geez, my Plant Fund is seriously depleated what with garage door spring replacement, visits to elderly grands for holidays, and multiple other things mostly related to the economy and Job Situation. I'm jealous!!!

(My job situation is great. DH's may be sinking like a paper hat!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:24 pm 

Well Cena,
I've got plenty for everyone. :wink: I have either 17 or 18 in 5 gallon pots and 1 in a 10 gallon pot, it spans a good 3 ft without the leaves :shock: I let the seat down in the car and they packed it full. Leaves were escaping out of the doors, plus three were placed in the front seat! I was being surounded by folliage on my way home. It's a wonder I didn't get a ticket! I drove all the way home trucking it in the slow lane with one visible mirror. There was barely enough room for me to squeeze into my seat, hehe. I've got plenty to clean up and give for Hannukah/Christmas/Quanza/Birthdays/whatever. All need to be repotted sans oxalis and various other weeds. The scale looks dead, but there could still be nasties hiding dormant. Of all the flower spikes, only one made it home with buds on it. I woke up at 6:30, cleaned the junk out of the car, got there just after 8 and made it home at 10. I unloaded the car and went straight back to bed with my Kleenex and stuffed up ears.

Anyway hopefully if I feel better tomorrow I'll have a picture or two of my newest additions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:22 pm 

oh and BTW I need your addy again, it's on my computer in the shop. I have a nice Sans "Twisted Sister" which I want to send your way (so that it stays nice) :oops: