The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 am 

Longing for spring and getting a notification that Burpee's was offering free shipping over the weekend, I placed a seed order. I'll likely order more seeds (or buy locally) before planting, but it's a start.

I also got a new toy by burning an Amazon gift card I got for xmas. It's an Earthway precision seeder. It may require some tinkering and some say it's not so great with small seeds, but it should be great for beans, peas, corn and such.
I had a single wheel Burpee seeder years ago, but it broke and it seems there are no parts and it's no longer available.

Also, I had animal damage (rabbit/woodchuck/??) early in the season last year, so I invested in a Havahart electric fence for pets and small animals. After I put it up, the damage stopped and plants came back....so I'm encouraged for the coming season.
(The electric fence is a bit of a pain because after it's up I can't get the tiller in and moving mulch in is more difficult....but keeping the critters out is worth the trouble. I also learned that I have to keep it trimmed around it or grass/weeds can grow up and ground it out.