The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spring
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:43 pm 

I got my first seed catalog a couple of weeks ago and that is making me anxious for spring. I hope to have a better garden than I did last year. I bought a couple of Earth Boxes last year and planted peppers in one and they did much better than they have in the garden plot, most likely from not having any mole tunnels underneath them, so I'll get some going in it again this year and get them in earlier than last year. I didn't get them planted until mid June last year due to my mother's decline, but I got peppers off of them in spite of it.

Anyone else getting antsy?

Oh ya, a few frogs have started their spring chorus, which makes it feel closer to spring than it is!

Post subject: Re: Spring
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:40 pm 

I think I've gotten half a dozen seed catalogs and have gone through all of them thoroughly.

This is the time of the year when I begin to count the days until I can begin to start my plants for spring.

Come on, warm weather!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 am 

I went to the local CFI (Community Food Initiative) seed swap yestrday. It was plesant, people were interested.

Most of the folks who offered seed were like me with too much snow on the roof. Most of the folks looking for seed were twenty somethings.

Maybe seed saving will go on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm 

I only order from a couple of places, so I don't get many catalogs. I'd go overboard if I got many more catalogs!

I saw that I have some daffodils up already, some about 3" tall. We're having a warm spell now, so they'll put on some faster growth. It was 60 the other day, a record high. I didn't turn on the furnace and aired out the house good.

It's good to see that young people are taking an interest in seed trades. Hopefully they'll keep it going through the years to preserve the old varieties.

I'm going outside today to cover up some grassy areas where I don't want any grass growing, so I can be ahead a little before spring arrives and it really takes off.

The strawberries I planted in the new raised bed last fall have survived so far. I plan on putting some peas in it next month and some beets a little later, so it may be the most productive garden spot since the moles can't get in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 pm 

Narcissus and Anenome are flowering for me now, and other bulbs are generally up and getting ready for the show. Garlic is about 8" tall right now, and onion seedlings are on their second or third leaf. Fava beans are ~10" tall. We harvested some salad and a radish.

This week it's 65'F during the day and 45'F at night. I worked in the yard with no shirt on Sat to get some much missed sun exposure. A week ago we had our hardest bout of frost yet this year, so it's not spring yet, but a bout of warmth will give the cool season crops a major growth spurt.

I took advantage of the nice weather to spray my stonefruit trees for curly-leaf. The CRFG exchange was sat morning, so I got a bunch of new cuttings of fig/grape/currant as well as scion wood for grafting peaches, nectarines, pears and plums. Last year the time to make the grafts was mid-march, so they're in the fridge until then.

Winter is nice here because there is still plenty of gardening to do - if you want, but you can also take a break and ignore things for a week or two and everything won't die of thirst and rot on the vine.

A few seed catalogs have come, but I've only perused the fedco and bountiful gardens ones. I've got an adequate seed stockpile, so I don't think I'll be ordering more or trading much this year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:15 am 

I can't wait for Spring either! Its been snowing every week and freezing rain it seems like non stop. Now we're suppose to get another snow storm next week. I really think I need to move south to a much warmer climate.

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:59 am 

SPRING :shock:
I have cabin fever bad enough.
To early to think about spring here.

Well I have browsed thru a couple seed catalogs &
have a basic order in mind.

Walked to the lonely Green house a few times.
looked at the inside temp of 0*f.
Kicked the frozen compost piles.

Will be starting some tom plants in March.
Not sure what yet but , early girl for sure.

Spring :shock: In 3 months maybe, but we are over 1/2 way thru winter. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 am 

I'm going crazy here in NY. 30+ inches of snow on the ground (so far) 2-3" of ice on that!

I've been thumbing through seed catalogs, serfn' the web gardening sites, and drawing up plans for a little hoop-house I wanna build. I made up a 'Garden Planner Calendar' It's a calendar that shows ave. temps, sunrise /sunset, total hrs of sun light, moon phases, apogee/perigee, solstics, when to plant indoors/outdoors, when to weed, water, anything that has to do with gardening, for my longitude and latitude.

I told you I was going crazy!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:34 pm 

I went a little crazy this year. Probably due in part to the very cold winter!!

Totally Tomatoes, Baker Creek, etc., etc. Plenty of dog-eared pages.

I may need to borrow garden space LOL!

:shock:

http://frugalhydroponics.blogspot.com/

Zone 5a:

Post subject: Spring
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 pm 

I am so sick of the cold I ordered received and started some. I always do a test run with a few seeds just to make sure the ones I save are good. I get excited and start more though. I already have some cold stuff maybe a week or two old. It was 50 today and 60 for the end of the week. I can get out and take a walkabout the yard like it was spring and make a list to get ready. This year is my year.