The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:30 am 

Harvested my potatoes yesterday and noticed that there were big differences in the way that different varieties grew. Some potatoes grew straight up the vine, all the way up to the soil line, even after hilling them up two feet! Others grew laterally, and the hilling didn't seem to make as much of a difference to them. I'm on a mission to find out if there really is such a thing. Knowledge as to which varieties are which could be highly useful to the home gardener.

Can anyone on this forum shed light on the issue? I've posted this question on several forums as well as on my blog. Feel free to share information with me here or on my blog.

Any information I find will be posted in the comments section on the post. So if you would like to be notified when I find more information leave a comment on the blog and make sure to check the box that says to email you with new comments.

http://amysoddities.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... inate.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:33 am 

Amy,
The guru of breeding of and genetics of potato has to be Tom Wagner. His web site (was) matertater.com. He posts at times on tomatoville.com .

Its not politic to post out links here, so I may yet get banned for doin' this sort of cross posting.

The short answer to your question is, yes near as I can tell it all the solanums (potato, tomato, eggplant) have determinate and indeterminate type cultivars.

If you want to be entertained get some of Tom's true-potato-seed and post the results here.
Yes, I really means potatoes from seed not clonal planting...