The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Got slugs?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:23 am 

Hi there, I am starting a new blog detailing my garden experiences. For years I've dealt with this horrible pest, and finally got fed up. So now I'm doing experiences to find out exactly what repels/kills these pests, and am detailing them on my blog. I would love to have new readers and have comments regarding your experiences. http://amysoddities.blogspot.com/2010/09/slugs.html

Post subject: Re: Got slugs?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 am 

Lids from pickle jars slightly indented into the ground and filled with beer. I do this for a few days keeping the beer levels full and that usually knocks the population down quite a bit.

Nasty critters love my hostas!!!

This year was so wet, I had snails and slugs after my container peppers!!!! A little slug bait from the local garden store did the trick as the beer method was not practical for the containers. I would see them about 2 hours after dark sliming there way to the containers, LOL. :evil:

http://frugalhydroponics.blogspot.com/

Zone 5a:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm 

A good way to reduce the number of snails and slugs around your plants is to firstly remove any bricks/pavers/pots/wood piles that are nearby where these nasty little critters can hide during the day.

Then on a rainy night put on your gumboots and go outside with a torch and see just how many snails and slugs you can trample to death. Do this on a couple of nights and you will notice that there are much less of these pests around.

You can also check out some other natural options for killing snails and slugs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 pm 

Slugs can't differentiate (as in pick up there foot over) stuff. Diatomaceous earth and the stubble from electric shavers are disagreable to slugs.

1/4 common household amonia and 3/4 water sprayed on slugs causes them to melt. It does not hurt plants.