The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Some onions and shallots
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:12 am 

These were white lisbon onions, they were advertised as scallions type green onions, and I was expecting a bunching onion habit. Turns out they're just small bulbing onions, very similar to cippolini. The huge onion in the upper left is an 'evergreen white bunching' which does not make bulbs and divides 2-4 times per year, and never dies back or goes dormant in summer.

Next up, Italian bottle onions. These guys doubled in size again from this point, but didn't quite reach beer-bottle proportions. The white onions in the background were grown from the seed of the previous year's sets (which mostly bolted). None of the seed grown bottle onions bolted.

Yellow potato onions. Pretty much subtly lighter colored shallots...

Speaking of which:
Picasso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am 

Nice job!!

My onions were a disappointment this year. All but a couple dried out on me inspite of my watering. Only my GF's Chipollini's did well. While mine are all small, they are very strong in flavor and aroma, which works for me!! Just wish they were larger.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm 

How did they dry out? IME, they're pretty drought hardy - they are a caudiform after all. ;)

In fact, some red burgundy and walla-walla onions bolted, but were next to eachother and would have cross pollinated, so I pulled the bolting walla-wallas and put them in a bucket with no soil in another part of the yard. They're continuing to flower and make seed just on the reserves in the bulbs.

My biggest bulbs came from Ailsa Craigs, unfortunately I only had 8 plants.

I am very happy with the potato onions and shallots, they seem pretty foolproof, but they are also small. OTOH, you feel like you're making something more 'special' when you're peeling shallots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:12 am 

It beats me as to what happened! Everythine else in the garden, except the cuccumbers, is doing very well. All I know is, as early as mid June, the green was gone on most of the onions! The tops dried right up! I have only 2 left in the garden, and they look great! Last year, I had baseball-softball size onions, this year golfball to a bit larger. Watering hasn't been a problem in the past, and I did this year as I've always done. I would say I got a bad batch, but I plant 3 varieties, Copra, Red Zeppelin, and Sterling, from DixonDale Onion Farms out of Texas. I'm gonna drop them a line and ask them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:57 pm 

Could be a disease if everything got slammed. In that case they'd probably die and rot, otherwise this year's weird weather may have discombobulated them.