The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what knid of melon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:41 am 

this vine started growing out of my mulch pile and i let it go i think it was cantaloupe because we put a lot of cantaloupe in it. Its only 2 vines i luck its going to be a gourd

[IMG:1024:768]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss92/king_hedes/new%20growth/7-30-10/7-30-1032.jpg[/img][IMG:768:1024]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss92/king_hedes/new%20growth/7-30-10/7-30-1031.jpg[/img][IMG:768:1024]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss92/king_hedes/new%20growth/7-30-10/7-30-1023.jpg[/img]

this is it about 2 or 3 months ago its only 2 vines
[img:1024:768]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss92/king_hedes/IMG_2805.jpg[/img]

Post subject: Re: what knid of melon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:47 am 

Hey king_hedes! I hope you don't mind... I fixed your pictures so they would display properly. For future reference, when you are posting a picture and using the "img" code, leave the picture size out of the tag. In other words, just use "img"(the url to your picture)"/img]" instead of "img:1024:768(the url to your picture)"/img". When you put the picture size in it, the BBC code doesn't know what to do with it! By the way, I used " " instead of [ ] so things would display correctly. And, don't put the url to your picture inside of ( ). :D

Here are the first two pictures that you posted:

Here is the last picture that you posted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:42 am 

When I was a kid, my grandfather (mother's father) grew something he would either refer to as a "hog pumpkin," or "squash pumpkin." And, the vines and blooms looked just like yours.

For the last hour or so, I've been scouring the internet in search of anything that looked like what my grandfather grew. I've finally learned that what he grew is a Green Striped Cushaw. There are pictures here. The pictures of the green, striped, long neck, gourd looking fruits are the pictures of the Green Striped Cushaw.

Here is where some level of confusion comes in... at least... for me! Is a Green Striped Cushaw a pumpkin... or a squash??? It would appear that the answer to that question lies with the one who has the seed, plant, and/or fruit... or whoever is talking about them! It might just be that this "confusion" is why my grandfather referred to them as "squash pumpkins!" "Hog pumpkins" came from the fact that the hogs loved them!

I have been able to find out that Cushaws are members of the gourd family. But, that really doesn't help. Both squash and pumpkins are members of the gourd family too.

My best advice to you is to allow these guys to grow out and produce fruit. If you will, it should be a tad easier to identify them.

If they do end up being Curshaws, I would love, love, LOVE to get a few seeds from you!!! I'd not even thought of these things in years!! But, I remember loving them as a kid. My grandmother would bake them with a little butter, sugar, and cinnamon... they were lip smackin' good!!!

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 pm 

From the third photo it's not a melon or cantaloupe, that flower is from a squash or pumpkin.
Still, it will produce something edible!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 pm 

beeman wrote:
From the third photo it's not a melon or cantaloupe, that flower is from a squash or pumpkin.
Still, it will produce something edible!

its probably squash then
i really appreciate the help i'm going to have a lot of squash

to bad i dont like squash

i dont thonk its a Green striped Cushaw because i never threw anything like that in it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:07 pm 

king_hedes wrote:
i dont thonk its a Green striped Cushaw because i never threw anything like that in it

What kind of squash did you throw in there? Just curious since you say you don't like squash!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:22 am 

it would of been the common yellow kind my mom eats them sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:42 pm 

Squash readily interbreed between types, so unless the parent plant came from an isolated planting (or a huge field of the same type), it may well be a cross-breed. The result of crosses are often funny shaped and funny colored, IE a green striped pumpkin or a yellow zucchini or an orange patty-pan... They're all edible, but the flavor can be intermediate too, so if the taste leans towards pumpkin, it might not be great cooked like zucchini.