The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ? Dividing a Banana Tree
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 pm 

Have a banana tree in a large pot (bottom half of a large shop vac) that died down last fall and has now put up two shoots from the root. Should I try to divide them or should I just leave them as is for now? My thumb is not always that green and don't want to push my luck.

Have been feeding it lots of rich vermicompost and it seems to be sprouting a new leaf every two days. My vegetable garden is getting lots of the same. Keeping my fingers crossed for a great harvest this year.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 am 

It is better to remove the banana plant form pot and plant it on free space by freeing soil with plenty of water. Any idea of planting other fruit trees, visit Legg Creek Farm nursery for quality fruit trees at lowest price.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 am 

Although banana trees typically grow in the ground, they thrive in containers, too. Potted banana trees add a tropical accent to patios, porches and small yards. Banana plants need sunlight and warm temperatures to produce fruit. Moisture is also key -- too little and the plants suffer; too much and they'll rot.

Banana plants grow best in lava rock soil or lava sand, typical of Hawaiian soil. Potting soil for cactus plants can also be used. Do not fill the container with regular potting soil. Place the tree in the pot and cover the root mass with the soil. Press down lightly to remove air pockets. Adding about 20 percent perlite aids drainage.

Water the banana tree until it comes out the drainage holes in the bottom. Check the soil moisture often and water when it is dry to a 2-inch depth. Keep the soil moist but not wet. If the tree dries out, it's prone to spider mites and other infestation.