The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My new addition
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm 

Since my seedlings are doing so well, I thought I should build one of these!! My new cold frame!! I modified the plans I found in a book, "The New Victory Garden". Best thing is, it can be taken apart and stored for the off-season.

Attachments:
DSCN0319.jpg
DSCN0319.jpg [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 1212 times ]
DSCN0315[1].jpg
DSCN0315[1].jpg [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 1210 times ]

Post subject: Re: My new addition
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 pm 

You did a great job on it! Did you put it together with screws so you can take it apart or something else?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:21 pm 

Each side is connected to the other by eyelets and a pin. By pulling the pins out, the sides can come apart. The hinges for the top have a loose pin as well, so the top can be removed. My modifications include heavier eyelets and metal pins rather than wooden dowls. The top is a bit heavy, (so it stays put in windy conditions, like yesterday) so when lifting it, the pressure on the back wall and pins is a bit much. I've already broken a dowl.

I bought the book back in '93, and always wanted to build this frame. But only now do I NEED one!! So here it is.

Wouldn't you know, now that I can put seedlings outside in my new cold frame, the temperature is dropping, chance of frost tonight, and only in the 30's at night, and 60's during the day all week!!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm 

Does it have an opener for sunny days? I have a couple 'univent' openers on my greenhouse and they work great, they have a nice feature that you can pull the vent open and compress their spring, then there's a clip mechanism that allows the opener to detatch from one of the feet so you can open it all the way. This allows you to install it inside a coldframe (or in my case on the GH door) and be able to open it easily.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:36 pm 

So I replaced the wooden dowls with metal pegs. Much stronger!! These pictures show how the frame comes together.

Attachments:
DSCN0320.jpg
DSCN0320.jpg [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 1207 times ]
DSCN0322[1].jpg
DSCN0322[1].jpg [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSCN0321[1].jpg
DSCN0321[1].jpg [ 2.19 MiB | Viewed 1214 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:43 pm 

This is how it opens. Needs work, I know. I'll work on it!!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 pm 

I really like the peg and eyebolt construction!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:32 am 

Thanks for showing the technique for disassembly. This is the first time I've seen that system and I like it. I've never made a cold frame because I didn't want it to be a permanent feature in my garden, so now maybe I'll do it. We have a bunch of lumber from our trees, but I'd have to paint them since they're douglas firs.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:10 am 

As I said, the pins n eyelets is what sold me on this design. The box itself is your basic cold frame, but the fact it comes apart so easily is just too cool!!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:22 am 

Should you decide to build this. Be sure to put the top eyebolt in the side board, not the back board. It's the side boards that keep the front n back together. The plans called for 3 eyebolts and wooden dowls, I upgraded to 4 eyebolts and the metal pins.

The plans called for larger dimensions, front to back, over 4'. But I figured it would be harder to reach in to plants in the rear/middle of the box. So I shortened the front to back dimension, and widened the side to side. I wanted to be sure I could fit 4 trays side by side.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 pm 

Thanks for the tips! Now we'll see if I actually do it. I have a lot of catching up to do after taking care of my mom for 4 months. I didn't get many chances to go outside and work and the weeds are doing quite well in our cool, moist spring weather.

Is that 2x12 lumber you used? I have some 1x12, full measurement since it's rough cut lumber. I don't know that I'd bother running it through the planer for a cold frame. I was thinking white paint on the inside would be good and maybe a dark color on the outside.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:49 am 

I used 2x8"s for the sides, 2x4"s for the lid, 1x4" for the cleats to hold the pieces together, and furring strips for around the lid to hold the plastic down. All as per the plan.

The plan calls for 4x4" dogwire fencing to cover the lid. I couldn't find a small piece of that, and a roll is over $100 here, so I just used plain old 1x2" fencing, plastic coated, there shouldn't be too much weight on it since I'm not using it in the winter. The plastic is 3 mil.

I hope you'll post pictures if you do build it!

Last edited by NiftyNabber on Fri May 14, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:01 am 

fantastic idea!! but what is a cold box used for i have never heard of it. do you use it to start seeds?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:45 am 

It's like a mini greenhouse. I'm using mine to help my seedlings that I planted in my basement get use to the outdoors and real sun light. It's call "hardening off". After about a week or two, I'll plant them in the garden.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:29 pm 

NiftyNabber wrote:
It's like a mini greenhouse. I'm using mine to help my seedlings that I planted in my basement get use to the outdoors and real sun light. It's call "hardening off". After about a week or two, I'll plant them in the garden.

Could you start them in there or only harden them off? Awesome job, by the way. I would love to make one.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:00 am 

Sure, you can start seeds in there too!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:48 am 

Depending on where you live, I'd think you could only start the cool weather crops in it, lettuce, broccoli, etc. It would be too cool here to get the warm weather crops started in it.

It's a good season extender for the cool weather crops too.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:38 pm 

oh i see wow that is really cool idea! i think my first project (after we get a house at the end of the year) will be a compost pile, it will be the most important next to a rain water collection system.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 am 

I see my pictures have disappeared, oh well, I now have yet another "New Addition"!! Just finished it this weekend.

Attachments:
File comment: This is the one I made last year.
DSCN2806.JPG
DSCN2806.JPG [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 1206 times ]
12. A thing of beauty!!.JPG
12. A thing of beauty!!.JPG [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 1206 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:44 am 

Love it! I am inspired to build one too!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:23 pm 

Awesome!

If it's still chilly, I'd suggest getting some greenhouse vent openers to automatically open and close the lids for you. Harbor freight sells them for $20, and nicer ones are more like $50. You may have to attach a counterweight behind the hinges of your lids to reduce the load the opener has to lift though.

I've used such openers on my GH for 2 years now - they work GREAT and I never have to worry about wether it's too open for the cold or too closed for the heat (though I open the doors wide in high summer for max ventilation).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 pm 

A garden should be a place we can go to relax, to take in the fresh air and ideally be away from anything that resembles work. Alternatively, we may view our garden as our work away from work, as sometimes the act of weeding a garden or planting new seeds can take our mind away from certain things. More than it is all also very much important to maintain your garden. We should grow fruits and vegetables in our garden to have a complete view of our garden and to make a beautiful place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:43 am 

This is the first time I've seen that system and I like it. I've never made a cold frame because I didn't want it to be a permanent feature in my garden, so now maybe I'll do it. We have a bunch of lumber from our trees, but I'd have to paint them since they're douglas first..