Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Winter gardening
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 am 

We don't get much of an off-season here. Don't have to water though! :P
Chesnok red and white porcelain garlic.
Elephant garlic (from grocery store)
Silver rose garlic (r), early italian purple (c), don't recall (l)
Red Janice (r), asian tempest (c), sonoran (l) Note the turban garlics (r and l) are very fast.
Onions and white porcelain garlic bublets on left.
Ajo rojo (l), don't recall (r) but it's tagged.
Evergreen white scallion going to seed.
Leeks and a collard
Shallots (bottom) and onion transplants above.
Tatsoi, mustard, lettuce, mesclun, peas, more collards from last year.
Collard seed head
Ruby red chard from last summer.
Arugula, self sown. ;)
Favas, piracicaba broccoli (for seed), borage (bottom)
Starting a few things for spring/summer.
I'm REALLY loving the greenhouse for starting seed, they germinate and grow much faster with the extra warmth. Spring is early as it is, I found some tomato seedlings in the garden today!

Post subject: Re: Winter gardening
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm 

Everything is looking so good. I haven't grown garlic in years since we have moles here that uproot small plants or leave their roots dangling in a tunnel.

How long before you harvest the garlic down there?

I think the whole west coast is having an early spring. Quite a contrast to the eastern US. We're about a month ahead. I didn't get my early jump on the weeds, so some are blooming already due to the early spring.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 pm 

There has been gopher activity around there, they got an artichoke next to the garlic last year, but seem to leave garlic and onions alone. Deer do too for the most part, though they will nibble on leeks.

I have a wide variety of garlic, Turban, Asiatic, artichoke, creole, purple stripe, porcelain and silverskin, that go from early to late, in that order. The turban garlic looks like it may be ready as soon as April, Artichokes were done in May last year and the purple stripes, porcelains and silverskins may hold out as late as the beginning of July. I'd be thrilled if they finish a month early due to the early spring.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 pm 

I'm thinking of making a wire box in one of my beds so I can grow some strawberries without the moles plowing through them or pushing them out of the ground. That's what I'd have to do to be able to grow garlic and other small plants. I have a lot of worms and probably grubs that attract them, so they'll always be active.

I tried a rock border like you have, but they sunk it or buried it, so I had to do a concrete strip and then mortar the rocks onto that. A lot more work! But, that just goes with living in the country and I wouldn't trade that.

I'll have to read up on the different garlic varieties. I only knew of 2 varieties when I grew it when we lived in town and haven't grown it since.

I'm going to plant some lettuce and spinach when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:07 am 

More than it is all also very much important to maintain your garden. We should grow fruits and vegetables in our garden to have a complete view of our garden and to make a beautiful place. As you think your interior should be good same while the exterior part should also be good to make your home a perfect place to live.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am 

It's challenging to maintain your garden in the winter. And biggest problem with the availability of resources such as water etc. You can't expect too much variety of vegetables and fruits. It depends on the place too. Each particular place may have different climate. But overall it's challenging.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:43 am 

Planting trees is little hard in cold winter. You can make a practice of making holes in potted trees by digging compost and spraying light chillness water.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 am 

A winter garden provides many benefits and is a great addition to every home. Many believe that gardening must cease once the first frost hits, but that simply is not true. There are several ways that gardeners can enjoy the wonders of gardening year round including the use of solar greenhouses, growing plants indoors with containers, and planting crops that do well in outside, cool temperatures. Gardeners may take additional steps to protect outdoor plants and crops from frost. Due to the variety of ways in which winter gardening may be accomplished, everyone can continue growing plants, vegetables, herbs, and fruit during the winter months. A variety of plants may be grown during winter and gardeners that take advantage of these opportunities enjoy many benefits.