The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:24 pm 

luv2grdn wrote:
I have a Zyliss garlic press that you can put the cloves in without peeling them, works great on those little guys. We use a lot of garlic.

I just use the knife blade to give the garlic glove a wack. And then the peel just fall off.

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:43 pm 

I planted new garlic in mid October, 7 different kinds. Due to the unusually warm weather, I now have garlic shoots, 2-4" high. Should I cover them with mulch in the event that winter ever comes?

I can't believe tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and we've had only 2 mornings with frost!! Global Warming or what??!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 pm 

Garlic is really tough stuff, but a layer of mulch won't hurt. It won't grow much more if you're around freezing for the rest of the winter.

Mine are also coming up, but I don't get enough cold to bother them. Some plants are already almost a foot tall with six leaves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:48 pm 

Replying to your post about mulching.... (Probably too late)

2-4" is the perfect time to mulch.... My philosophy is as following. After soaking and putting the bulbs in the ground, I leave the mulch off to keep the soil warm and to clearly see which bulbs germinated and which did not. If after 3-4 weeks I have a few holes in my plot and I will plant new cloves.

Then when the bulbs are 2-4" inches high, I will cover with leaf mulch and keep adding to make it through the winter. Finally, I keep the mulch on until late May to ensure a nice even moist bed for the spring growth. 2-3 weeks before I am going to pull the garlic, I remove the mulch to help the soil dry.

I hope you have a great crop this year.....

P.S. From March through April 15th, I spray the garlic with a fish fertilizer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:01 am 

My garlic is just starting to produce scapes now (mid April), and about as big as they'll get.
Elephant garlic adjacent to normal garlic.
German white porcelain garlic from bulbils (the little plants).
Turban garlic scape.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:30 am 

Harvested the first of this years garlic. Red Janice turban garlic.
The largest heads are about 3" diameter. This is a fairly large cultivar. Unfortunately they start to sprout in Oct regardless of how you store them, so they're only available for culinary use half the year. Strangely, they produce scapes, but the plants are ready before the scapes are even close to opening. This is my first year growing turbans and I was confused because the leaves looked ready to harvest but the scape wasn't even close to maturity. I dug up a couple and the leaves were correct. I guess this is what they mean by 'weakly bolting'.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:18 am 

That's great!! Mine are months away yet, no scapes. The weather has been crazy here. We had temps in the 90's last week, frost warnings last night and this week!! Today's high will be mid 50's, mid 60's the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:20 am 

Second garlic to come in, Sonoran asiatic garlic:
Third, Shilla turban garlic:
My leatherman is exactly 4" long (it has ruler hashes on it)
Last for today is garlic that I grew from a grocery store head. I'd thought it was 'california early artichoke', but this year I made it really happy and it grew scapes and behaved like turban/asiatic garlic, and certainly ripened with that group. The little plants and 'pearls' were from the tiny, inner cloves in the heads.
I didn't rinse the bulbs this time, the outer wrappers are gnarly and need to be peeled off anyway, which gets them clean in the end regardless.

That makes 119 garlic plants so far this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 pm 

The first artichoke garlic came ripe last weekend: inchelium red x11 (from one seed head)
I also dug up some more grocery store garlic, including one head that's over-ripe but is a good example of what garlic does if you don't harvest it on time:
Looks kind of like shallots. :lol: Should still be fine to eat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:34 am 

promethean_spark, very nice harvest!!

I got a question for ya. My GF n I went to a large Flea Market in Stormville NY. In the Farm Stand, the guy was selling "Spring Garlic". It was picked just as the scapes begin to show. We figured, since we have something like 140 plants growing, let's try a couple and see what we got.

I picked a Red German Soft-neck, it looks just like the ones at the market, a little smaller. Then I picked an Asian Tempest, it was split like a radish that was in the ground too long! I picked another, and the same thing!

What might cause this? I hope the pictures show the problem.

Attachments:
PICT3043.JPG
PICT3043.JPG [ 92.65 KiB | Viewed 1721 times ]
PICT3041.JPG
PICT3041.JPG [ 90.91 KiB | Viewed 1716 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:53 pm 

Asian tempest is supposed to be an asiatic garlic, which is an early type of garlic (the sonoran above is an asiatic garlic). I have asian tempest but it is still in the ground because it hasn't bulbed up big like the other asiatics/turbins or turned as yellow, it may just be a small bulbed type. If the boards yours are on are 2x6's, they're probably about full size. I'm planning to harvest my tempest this weekend. The heads I got for seed were smallish too:

Yours looks like it tried to do what the garlic in my picture did, but the swelling bulbs broke apart the bottom of the head instead of the top. Probably they are over-ripe. The roots also look totally dried up, if they looked like that coming out of the ground then certainly the garlic is well past it's growth phase.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:27 pm 

Yes, the roots are very dry, I picked them Sunday. It took me til this morning to get a camera to work to post these pictures.

I don't think that they're over ripe, cause there aren't any defined cloves.

I'm thinking, they got too dry, then I watered them, and they sucked up so much that they burst the dry layers.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 pm 

Could be. I dug mine over the weekend, and they were still on the small size. I don't think it's a particularly large type.
Asian tempest:

Most of the artichokes were done last weekend too:

Lorz Italian:

Ajo rojo (creole):
I'm a little disapointed in the Ajo Rojo, it's the only one where I didn't get at least a couple heads as big or bigger than the seed head, maybe the seed head just happened to have a large number of small cloves (13).

Early Italian Purple:

Kettle river:

Most of those have pretty normal to large sized bulbs, no massive ones like the turbins/asiatics.

I also dug one elephant garlic that was starting to be pretty wilted:
Maybe still a bit early for them, this was the smallest of 5. You can see a couple little bulblets at it's base.

I might seem a bit garlic-crazy, but these guys grow so well here that I might as well enjoy it! :lol: Last up is the porcelain, purple stripe and silverskin, these might not do so well now that it's hot and dry. I harvested some granex onions today too, and they only came out smaller than some of my garlic. Can't win 'em all. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:19 pm 

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I still have yet to try growing garlic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:23 pm 

It's that time again, garlic planting time! I've had my late season garlic seed in the crisper drawer of the fridge for the last month to get them motivated, and the turbin garlic are already starting to sprout.

New for this year are rosewood (porcelain), romanian (porcelain), russian red (rocombole), and bogatyr (marbled purple stripe). These are late garlics, and rocombole in particular is supposed to do poorly in warm climates, but I'm hoping that treating them in the fridge will help them succeed in my climate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 pm 

It's funny I just noticed your post. I was out putting around the garden, and I noticed my garlic is sticking out of the ground already!! I planted it on October 12th.

Last year, it was so warm here in NY, still 70-80's, and no frost til mid December. My garlic was about 10" tall before that first frost.

This year, temps are more normal, 40-50's, and a few frost dates already. I didn't think it would grow much this early 'cause of the cooler temps.

I've planted 6 kinds; German Red, German White, Music, Northern White, Ukranian, and New Yorker. All are hard neck except the New Yorker.

Now I'm all excited, can't wait till spring!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm 

30+ inches of snow......... My garlic's in there.............somewhere!!??

Attachments:
Winter '11 007.JPG
Winter '11 007.JPG [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 1131 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:16 am 

Garlic and fava beans are doing great, really starting to put on size now that things are warming up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:16 pm 

Can anyone tell me how deep to plant? I'd like to try this year in NH.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 pm 

Hi, I just noticed you post. I planted mine 4-6 inches deep. I'll be planting here, in NY, about mid October. I did pretty well this past year. I went to the Garlic Festival here, got plenty of garlic to plant this time. Good luck, keep us posted!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:55 pm 

It depends, if your in a cold climate they'll need to be deep so they don't freeze over the winter. In a warm climate like CA, you can plant them only 1" deep (to the top of the clove) and it'll grow fine. I do mulch it with an inch of grass clippings or comparable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:42 am 

Thanks again. I appreciate it.