The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: my pond
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 am 

heres some pics of my catfish in my pond there eating dog food
ones an albino we had for when we put em in there but thats the only one that made it this long there all channel cats

ImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: my pond
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 am 

I do love catfish... to eat... to catch... and to watch like this!! But, my favorite is to eat catfish!!

Several years ago, I had a friend in Shreveport, La. who had about a 1.5 acre "pay-to-catch'em" catfish pond. About the same time each evening, he'd go to the barn (about 150 yards away from the pond) and crank his riding lawn mower up. The catfish took that as a signal that he was on his way to feed them. And, before he could get his two wheeled trailer hooked up and get fish food loaded in it, the water's surface would begin swirling as the catfish came to the surface and swam around watching for him... and the food!!

They knew exactly where he was coming to on the bank to feed them. So, the closer his mower got to the particular spot on the bank, the more the nearby water would "simmer" with catfish.

Once he'd arrive in the right spot, he'd shut his mower off. Sometimes, he'd then just sit still on the mower for a few minutes. The water would soon rise to a harder simmer. Then, little ones (1/2 pound or so) would begin bursting through the surface of the water and into the air. It was as if they were saying, "Hey Pop... here we are!! Now... where's the grub????"

Finally, he'd get off the mower, fill a corn scoop with food and toss it over the water in a spreading motion. Before the food hit the water, the fish were already in a frenzy. And, once the food hit the water, the water came to a full, hard, rolling boil as the catfishes' feeding frenzy reached orgasmic levels! Little ones burst into the air all over the area where the food floated. Most of the rest of the fish rolled and writhed in sweet ecstasy as they filled their bellies.

But, there was always one particular catfish that amazed me. He was so big that a grown man could clinch both his fists, place them side by side, and easily fit them into the catfish's mouth! He was a Blue Channel Catfish. And, he was a monster!! Instead of bursting through the water, or going into a feeding frenzy like the others, he'd lazily open his huge mouth, swim around with his top lip just out of the water, and gather a mouth full of food. Once his mouth was full, he'd snap his mouth shut, swallow, and the process would begin all over again! He looked like Jaws!!

The old man who owned the pond told me that he couldn't remember how old the huge fish was. But, he knew he was one of the very first, original fish that he had stocked his pond with many year earlier. He was the only fish in the pond that had a name. His name was Festus after the "Gunsmoke" character "Festus Haggen."

"Yep... ole Festus is the onliest cat in thu pond that ain't been hooked by nobody," the old gentleman once told me. He said that he'd netted the fish a couple years earlier... just to get a good look at him and to weigh him. He said his scales only went to 50 pounds. "N, Ole Festus tipped'em purdy good!!!"

Keep on feeding those guys. And, I'm sure that you'll end up with an "Ole Festus" one of these days!!! :wink:

BTW, are you raising them to catch, sell, or just to appreciate?

Good luck with your kitty kats!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:44 pm 

Don't 'catfish' eat cat food?
Wonder if 'dog food' would have a detrimental affect?
I started thinking of barking catfish!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:22 pm 

lol i used to have a lot more fish but about 7 years ago we had a hurricane i think it was hurricane Brett but all my fish died they said it was from temp change but i dont know we had the water tested but they didn't find any thing