The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Cooperative Hummingbird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:43 am 
Administrator

The other day I had this Broad Billed Hummingbird pose for a few shots. Lots of color they have.
Attachment:
2009-12-22-lux2 140mod.JPG
2009-12-22-lux2 140mod.JPG [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Attachment:
2009-12-22-lux2 133mod.JPG
2009-12-22-lux2 133mod.JPG [ 598.88 KiB | Viewed 529 times ]

Happy New Year,
AZED

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:24 pm 

Great shots Ed. I have yet to capture a hummer on film. I should have a camera with me right now with all the bird activity going on. There are robins, jays, chicadees, starlings, a flicker or 2 and some other small song birds. They must be hungry after the snow buried their food sources for a couple of days.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:52 am 
Administrator

luv,
I have been shooting birds since 1980 when I really did use film. I sloshed around the salt and mud flats of San Francisco Bay in search of cooperative shore birds. Back then it usually took 100 or more unacceptable shots to get one good one. It is much easier today.
All those birds you listed should be very easy to image unless your Flickers are as jumpy as the Guilded Flicker is in the desert.
Here is a Cactus Wren posing. They usually are not especially jumpy as long as you don't stare at them. We have one in the backyard that shares the seeds with the Finches, Doves and House Wrens.
Each species gives opportunities for pictures if you learn their behaviors.
Attachment:
Project3.jpg
Project3.jpg [ 186.27 KiB | Viewed 525 times ]

Linda and I will assist on a bird walk tomorrow and should get some Phainopepla pictures. With the Desert Mistletoe ripening late due to our drought they should be all over the area we will be at. They can't get enought of the Mistletoe berries and if they are busy I can usually get within 10 feet of them. The Males and Females get into a screaming bout at each other and then is when I can slowly get even closer----sometimes.
We'll see,
AZED

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:08 am 

The flickers are skitterish, so I'd need a longer zoom than I have to get a picture. Most of the birds I saw this morning were either on the roof or in the trees near the roof and I'd have to take the pics through a window with cat nose smudges inside and dirt on the outside, so not a good situation. Some day I'll get a different camera. I go to a wildlife refuge and need a longer lens to get pictures of the swans that overwinter there, plus all the other birds that reside there. I have a few pics from there posted...or at least I did. I haven't checked to see if they're still here.

That's another great shot you got. I hope to see more from your bird walk. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:35 am 

Very nice Ed. Nice to see another side to what makes you tick. Looking forward to seeing more photos from you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:44 am 
Administrator

Thanks luv,
For the last several years I have yet to spend over $300 on a camera. There are 3 still working. Outdoors and my clumsiness take their toll but having yet to spend as much as I had spent on one lens a decade ago and the expense of slide film and processing they the cameras today are a steal.
In the Bay Area I had to lug about 35 pounds of equipment around just for wildlife. Now my heaviest is about 1.5 pounds and the rest far less than a pound.
A SLR would be better but not enough for me to be hauling all the equipment needed for a 10% clearer image.
15 X optical is the highest I use and for the most part my 12 x 10 meg with micro-macro is a heck of a lot better photographer than me!!!

Randy,
Thanks. The operative there is "tick"!!! As long as the old ticker is a tickin' I'll be clickin'.
You just got a DSLR if I remember! Many happy clicks to you. Do you have your eye on the $25,000 F2.8 tele yet? I watch some of the pros lugging them around the desert in 110 F heat and personally have no intention of ever doing that again! Been there-Done that!
The memories are for the most part great but it is amazing how soon your mind will cast off the bits of info having to do with pain!!!!
BTW-I love your artisty in all of your endevors.
Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy 2010,
ED