The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Happy Birds
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:14 pm 

After two years, I finally got an aviary setup. It was cheaper to buy a used one than to build it. The doves don't care. They say they're ready to be parents again. :D

Attachment:
DSC01379.JPG

Attachment:
DSC01376.JPG

Attachment:
DSC01367.JPG

Attachment:
DSC01366.JPG

Post subject: Re: Happy Birds
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:54 pm 

Beautiful birds Mentha! I have Mourning Doves (I think that's what they are) that live in the pine tree by the front door. I thought they would be more skittish but they land in the garden while I am weeding it.

How many do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:48 pm 

There are 16 ringneck doves. The wild mourning doves love to come and talk to my doves. We are constantly finding ten or so wild doves in our front yard cooing along with the ringnecks. My daughter is going to try putting her budgies in there and we have two guinea pigs in the bottom for clean up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:01 pm 

Mentha, I like your aviary, 16 ring neck doves. What do you feed them? Just mixed birdseed?

When I was very young my Dad build and aviary for parakeetees , I don't remember how many we had but there was a bunch. And he build nest boxes on sides so the birds could have privacy when laying their eggs.

What is a budgie??

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:20 pm 

A budgie is a parakeet, the common ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:33 pm 

Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus) are probably what you remember as parakeets. There are many species of parakeets though, budgies are just the most common. My daughter has two females at the moment, a yellow with a blue belly and a white with a pale blue belly & saddle. Parakeets are any small parrot with a long tail. I really want to get a pair of maroon bellied conures breeders to go in there also.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:08 pm 

Mentha, You have your hands full with all those birds to take care of. But I know you will enjoy them too. How often do you clean their cages?

I think I'll stick to feeding the wild birds that come to our feeders.

Thanks for sharing the pixs.

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:02 am 

Hi Ginny,
I top dress the bottom of the aviary with wood shavings. I haven't had them in there long enough to have to really clean it. I would assume that it would need to be cleaned about once a month.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 am 

can I call you Rhonda, I see that in on your signature line.

I bet wood shaving feel more natural to the birds than say newspaper. Well I guess you will find out in time how often to clean the aviary. Keep sending updates on your aviary. I can live vicariously through you and your birds.

Since I've been grown I haven't had any birds. We have had cats and so cats and birds don't miss especially inside the house, where I would want to keep mine. a parakette, nothing bigger. I also thought about getting a gerbil but nix that also for same reason. I had enough when my Betta Fish, Noel was alive keeping the cats from going fishing. (HA) However, the 2 cats I a handful by themselves. They are semi-well behaved. They don't jump on the dining room table. Or the kitchen counter. I have discourged this behavior, since they have been indoors. B4 my other cat passed away, Bandit, she had the run of house, and never got into any trouble, however, she was older too. But these 2 are younger.. They were strictly outdoor cats until Bandit passed away in April. Now these 2 are indoor/outdoor cats. And they stay indoor every nite. We have 2 others that I know of, I suppose are feral in the neighborhood too. Blackjack use to be a feral cat and she is slowing adjusting to live as a housecat too. Little Guy came up our driveway one night...and he adopted us right away. He wanted PEOPLE...and so he and Blackjack lived outside until Bandit passed away.

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 pm 

Growing up we had budgies and cockatiels along with our billion other pets. Also every summer my sister and I were on baby bird patrol at the stable. (Swallows, starlings, robins, sparrows.. any nekked baby bird that couldn't be returned to it's nest was raised by us.) With all of the cats they had zero chance of survival otherwise... it was just amazing they survived the fall (the rafters in the stable were 3 stories up). It did cause more than a few cases of very confused starlings as they were usually outnumbered by swallows.

bettas.. lol... yeah I was breeding those for awhile. Had to stop when I blew out my back repeatedly. I had several hundred (I had several hundred applesnails too). My house was darn near an aquarium. Daily water changes in all those tanks and containers was just too much. I also was culturing foods as betta fry are so dinky. That's how I got into earthworms. The baby earthworms were a back up emergency food source if my whiteworms were not reproducing fast enough.

Tangent... sorry... back to Mentha's amazing aviary!

Mentha... a long time ago (loooooooooooooooong time ago) an old boyfriend told me his Dad showed pigeons. I thought he was joking till he finally dragged me to meet them, and sure enough, no sooner had I finished saying pigeon than his Dad was dragging me to the basement to show off his ribbons (the whole basement looked like a ribbon factory exploded). Then there was the long tour of his aviarys, incubators, the show stock...

Your aviary made me wonder... do they show doves too?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:01 pm 

HOLY COW! Yeah I googled... who the heck woulda ever guessed there were that MANY colors of doves!

Do you show yours Mentha? Or is it more for appreciation of the bird?

Can't resist this... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:32 pm 

WiggleIt wrote:
Your aviary made me wonder... do they show doves too?

As far as I know they do show doves. I got into doves when my grandparents' neighbor raised pigeons. He had a couple hundred birds from blue bars to roller pigeons, to homers. When I was young, my uncle brought us some rescues from a bank they had pulled down, I was so excited because I was like him, he burst my buble, I vowed to have birds as good as his one day.

I had a pair of white doves when I was in high school. I loved the way they coo'd. Another one of my mini rebellions. My grandparent's neighbor died of some complication caused by his birds. So the grandparents are dead set against my having pigeons so I got doves. Grandma hates mint plants, so I got about 50 different kinds, even call myself "Mentha" she hates opuntia cactus so I have about 10 different ones, the list continues. I never really rebelled, but I do grow what she hates just to anoy her. I thought it would be cool to see if I could find some of his former birds, or at least descentents of them. I found some in Los Angeles, but couldn't afford any, since his birds were champion birds.

There are a lot of different colors of doves. I have about 15 different colors and I also have about 10 eggs right now, so I'm almost guaranteed some new colors. While I don't aim to be the best at doves now, I do love them a lot. My next endevor is colored silkie doves.

I'd like to get into white homers for wedding releases. It would be cool to get $400 a pop for just releasing a couple birds, but that's a few years away with training and such.

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com ... ations.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 am 

Yeah I got swept up looking at dove colors for a few hours. I saw a few tangerines that were just soo pretty. My husband saw what I was looking at and instantly he said "DON'T EVEEEEEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!" :? He's Dr. Doolittle with furry critters, but not fond of anything with feathers or scales.

His parents' neighbor have quite an assortment of birds... the peacocks are seriously loud.

Oooo 10 eggs!! How long till you expect them to hatch out?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 pm 

WiggleIt,
For some reason I thought you were a guy, hehe. After the doves begin sitting, it should take about two weeks for hatching I haven't kept records on this batch because I didn't expect them to hatch since they are young birds. I couldn't tell you exactly when they hatch but I assume in a week or so. They will raise babies for a month, kick them out, then start laying more eggs if I let them. It's not uncommon for them to have eggs on the nest while still feeding babies. I give worms to the parents while they have babies. I have tangerines, tangerine pieds, whites, pinks, lavenders, Frosty Ash Pearled, and a couple other colors. Rabbits are nice for raising worms, DH won't get any rabbits unless they are papered and pedigreed since he used to be a rabbit judge. So when I need worms I have to buy them at Walmart.

I want to get a couple banty chickens to go in the bottom and scratch. I'd love to really get back into poultry for eggs. I wanted to be the next Foster Farms when I was in high school. I even planned on studying poultry science until I showed some meat birds and while being about a month pregnant had to butcher them. The smell of wet feathers for a pregnant girl is enough to turn anyone from raising poultry for meat. ewwww :shock:

Ginny,
I'm sorry I forgot to reply. I don't mind you calling me Rhonda, it's a lot better than some of the things I've been called ;) I raised African Cichlids. My favorite were the zebra cichlids, they come on all different colors. I got into the mini cichlids because they are easier to breed, and easier on the plants. I really liked my Amazon cichlids, they had no color, but were easily trained. My oscar would eat worms out of my hand and let me pet him also, hehe. My aunt is giving me an aquarium soon I don't know what size, but I'd love to get back into cichlids. Cats and birds really can get along as long as the birds are out when cats are not in. Our cats really don't bother the birds. Not that I'd trust them in the same room together, but the cage should protect the birds from the cats. Our kittens have been raised around the birds, but Pretty does catch birds also. She watches the birds and when they flutter, she's on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm 

Yep :lol: I am female.

And YAY!!!! You are just as bad as I am! :cheer: Always had a ton of pets, and always tried talking my parents into just a few more. We had a super awesome vet though and when someone walked in with a out of the ordinary critter he very would say
"I am not legally allowed to treat wild animals, I can only treat pets." Hint taken... elderly couple seated next to me in waiting room with their "pet" baby squirrels.

So we had more than a few "pet" raccoons, snapping turtles, painted turtles,squirrels, opossums. Did I mention the vet was very attractive? :wink:

Anyways.. never had chickens but they are on the "someday" list. (Ameraucanas & Jersey Giants... I can dream lol) Had geese... sorta.. slight problem with our german shepard and his over zealous maternal instincts. (the wild rabbit moved her kids away and this bunny daddy was lookin to love something else.)

Had horses, dogs, cats, cockatiels, wild bird assortment, goldfish (Godzilla... he kept the guppy population to a dull roar), the summer of a million tadpoles (that turned into tiny frogs.. that got into my Mom's cupboards and I had to rewash everything after I released said frogs into the backyard pond... major dishpan hands) 2 evil rescue rabbits, hampsters, gerbils, mice, columbian red tailed boa (promptly rehomed after my Mom discovered the tank in my walk in closet), tokay gecko (named Dammit), etc.

Oh man... butchering your birds... kudos for having the fortitude to do so. If that was the only means of getting meat I'd be a vegetarian again. :lol: yeah... total wuss here. Nerves of jello I tell ya. Wish I could borrow a few chickens right now... so many crickets it is like a wave of them move with every step you take.

What kind of bantams? If he had to pick a favorite rabbit breed... what would he chose? Which ones would you chose?

A friend long ago had one... HUGE rabbit (hence it's name... Thunderbuns)... huuuuuuuuge. She got one of our kittens.. rabbit would chase the kitten around the house. The kitten would curl up with it and sleep, but play time they were total goofballs. No clue what kind it was... but litterbox trained and very friendly.

OK... no more coffee for me LOL... sorry so chatty. Very happy you are also an animal fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm 

My favorite rabbit? I love the rex, tan, and dutch breeds, but I must tell you that I went to a lady's house a few months ago and she had Jersey Woolies. I fell in love. They are so adorable. If I got more rabbits, I would want some of those. I had some mutt lop cross babies which I bottle fed. I'd say "Who's next?" and they'd all stand up waiting for their turn :) They were all box trained and played with the cats. DH had a himalayan which was born on the wire, he bottle fed it and it was box trained. He'd come home and Homer would hop to the freezer waiting for his orange sherbit. hehe

I had sebastopol and pomeranian geese. One of my poms got hurt, we had to supper glue her face back together. She would stand by the fridge waiting for her lettuce. We named her Gluttony Goose. They'd walk around the house and honk at my husband as they went by. I'd sit on the porch and feed them lettuce, they were so sweet, but they hated my husband. They were the best watch dogs possible, they'd chase off any stray or weird person in the yard. I also had runner ducks, they are amazing birds.

It's nice your vet is cute. Mine is a woman, she put to sleep more than her share of our animals through the years. She's been my vet since I was in high school.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 pm 

'eeeeeeeeeere shikken shikken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:38 pm 

and speaking of bunnies and chicks...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:18 pm 

Aww come on now... those were funny!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 am 

I enjoyed reading all the post.

I also love animals. However, only have 2 cats now. That is enough for me to take care of feed, take to doctor for annual shots, and fuss over. We do feed the wild birds and we have lots of different varieties too and also doves. And we hear them cooing too. But the other birds sounds are interesting to listen to.And we have frogs at nite, oh my, you walk outside and their is a caphony of sounds. My DH can tell you what bird is by its sound, I just can't remember (sigh) And we do have squirrels and I love to hear them. I can't imagine not having any animals. And I can't imagine living where you step outside and you almost run into your neighbors house. There outside is the side of a postage stamp. They don't have one flower, one of anything outside. The only thing they do outside is get into their car. And NO house plants, NO animals...NO wonder people are bored...

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am 

I'll sure miss the variety of wildlife we have here once we move. We don't know when that will be exactly, but when we do, it will be to a smaller property, but hopefully not too small. I couldn't live on one of those small lots either. I see some of the trees planted in these yards and I wonder what in the world they were thinking when they put in a tree or trees that will outgrow the yard in 10 years or so, maybe less. I saw one house that had Cypresses right next to the house and they're getting big now. Another house has a willow tree that will get huge and have to be taken out some day. There may come a day when I'll appreciate that size yard, when I'm too old to do much, but for now I like some space around me.