The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Name that kitten
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 pm 

The new kid is coming along well. Her transformation over the past week has been impressive. She no longer hides or hisses. She purrs every time we pick her up. Nearly all traces of her feral beginnings have vanished. Her temporary name "Hissy" from her basement dwelling days no longer applies. Now it is time to play Name That Kitten. Any suggestions?

Foxy.

Post subject: Re: Name that kitten
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:33 pm 
I guess "WAY WAY TOO CUTE" isn't much of a name - lol!!

Regardless of what you decide on, be prepared for it to morph into something else as time goes on. Out of the dozens of cats I've had over the years, I've yet to have one that kept its original name.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:17 pm 

She's so darn cute! How about just a letter change...maybe Missy. You'll figure out what's best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:36 pm 

Breezy, I have another one that looks almost exactly like her. She could be yours :D As for the morphing...
Cashew~ Cash, Shew, Shew Cat, Shew Shew, Mongrel and he answered to all of them.lol
Mandy~ Manderella, Manderan Orange kitty, Princess
Bailey~ Bailers...not much more I could do with that one
Fox~ Foxy, Foxy Kitten, Sir Fox-alot, and something in French that I can't spell
Dana~ Not much I could do with that one
Teddy Bear~ Teddy, Tedders, Tedder Bear, Theodore (when he has been bad), Bear, Baby Bear, Pugsley
You don't even want to know what we did with Sambuca (the dogs name).

Luv2grdn, Missy would be good considering the Hissy name except that is the name of a friend of mine who is a dog person.lol

Potential names so far...
Tabbitha (Tabby)
Jasmine (Jazzy, Jazz) Although I think I know someone who has or had a cat with that name recently.

For now she is being referred to as the kid, the kitten or Junior.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:03 am 

foxykitten350234 wrote:
Jasmine (Jazzy, Jazz) Although I think I know someone who has or had a cat with that name recently.

For now she is being referred to as the kid, the kitten or Junior.

Foxy.

Jasmine was the name of Cena's lap cat which she just lost. Unless you're thinking of somebody else. She looks like she could be a Jasmine, she's such a cute little wee one. Arin named our two kittens, Mango and Papaya. I told him their names were Going and Goner. DH said A and B. In other words, they don't get names.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:17 am 

That's it! I knew it was someone from the forum. Thank you, Mentha! Sorry to hear Cena lost her dear Jasmine :cry:

Foxy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 am 

She's got two new kittens to help ease the pain. Not that they'd replace her cat, but it helps. I hear they have fit in well and causing bedtime havoc waking everyone up at about 5 each morning. Mama Pretty taught them well early to bed, & early to rise... ;) I really don't think Cena'd mind if you were to name her Jasmine, I know I'd be honored if you named the little boy Hubert.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:57 pm 

she really IS a pretty little thing!!!! actually, i'd probably still keep the 'hissy'. it's just such a cute name - even if it doesn't really 'apply' anymore with regard to behaviour.

how about prisilla?? aka prissy :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:28 am 

We have a name! DH decided he wants to name her Abigale, Abby for short. Since he is the one who insisted we keep her and since he has never named any of our critters, I'm going with it.

I do have to admit the name Hissy is sticking a little. The one lady at DH's work keeps asking how Hissy is doing. I am having to fight the urge to refer to her as Hissy. My cousin can't get past calling her Hissy. I guess in some way she will always be Hissy.

Mentha, the funny thing is the little boy was the easy one to come up with a name for. We have been calling him Sylvester from day one. With that black coat, the white paws and markings I couldn't resist.:lol: I have to say he wouldn't live up to Hubert's name. Hubert was a friendly fella. Sylvester is all feral barn cat. He wants no parts of this taming nonsense.

As for Abby, she is loving life. She purrs all the time. She is having a blast playing with her brothers. She has a spring in her step and the sadness has left her eyes. The buffet of cat toys are endless amusement for her and she has decided the water bed is not only fun to bounce on, but it is also pretty cool to sleep on. She is spoiled already. She has even gotten her sister to accept her. She now runs up to Dana and rubs up against her. Dana sniffs her without throwing a fit.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:36 am 

I'm glad it all came together so well. She is one of the prettier tabbies I've seen in a while. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:25 am 

Thanks, luv2grdn! We think she is pretty cute too :D

Foxy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:23 pm 

:lol: Miss Hissy Fitz :lol: that name almost makes me want to get another cat!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:25 pm 

Pretty had her kittens two days ago. I knew she was going to as she allowed her older children to nurse that night. She's been dragging bottom for the past two weeks. She had 7 b/w wonders. While they are adorable, I don't want her to get pregnant again. This time I think I might build her an outside cat house so she can complain to her heart's content and leave her there while in heat instead of caving when she pees on my feet and throwing her through the window. :roll: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:07 pm 

glad the new girl has settled in, foxy...yeah, you'll probably always call her 'hissy' every now and then, regardless of what real name you decide on...

mentha, best to get pretty fixed...medical issues can arise from being in heat and not mating.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:17 am 

Joclyn,
Medical issues can also arise from a forced abortion. Animals are more likely to get mamary tumors if they are pregnant when they are spayed. Our vet won't spay her until she has weaned her kittens and DH refuses to spay her if she is pregnant. I had planned to get her spayed this last litter, but as mentioned before when she went into heat she peed all over the foot of my bed, while I was in it! She didn't like being confined to the house.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:38 am 

Cats can go into heat so often. I'd think she'd go crazy being confined outside with male cats trying to get to her and the fighting amongst them could get pretty bad too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:11 am 

That's a good point, I didn't think of toms fighting in the yard. I'll have to clean up the laundry room for her and kittens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:39 pm 

It is crazy how fast they are able to breed again after a litter. We had a similar issue with our first female cat. Found her in a parking lot at a hardware store (she hitched a ride under a truck is our best guess). Vet guessed her age wrong and she was such a crazed hunter she would pop the screens out of the window in my room on the 2nd floor... hop on to the garage roof and then climb down the tree (same route I used as a teen :wink: )

Anyways she had 6 kittens her 1st litter (all in colored pairs! 2 calico, 2 black & white, 2 funky creamish grey)... we tried like heck to keep her in and failed. Batch 2 we figured out who the daddy was. 7 kittens... same color pairs again but the odd one out was sooooo very Siamese. The funky cream/grey ones grew up to look siamese too we later found out from Christmas pics.

We knew who the owner was of the daddy. He was her pride and joy show cat. We sent a card. The front said "Do you know where you cat has been?" inside was a picture of the kittens and it said "WE DO!!"

We confined her to the basement or my sister's room with litter #2 whenever anyone was coming or going from the house. Got her fixed the second we got the all clear from the vet and the babies were not really nursing. (Litter #1 was hard to get to eat dry food as Tequila, the momma cat, happily supplied a hunting assortment. My Mom drew the line when she came home from the store and found the kittens batting chipmunk heads around the livingroom and kitchen. She had them hunting chipmunks when the chipmunks were almost the same size as them!)

I miss having a good hunter around. The dilute calico we have (found her in the street as a little bitty kitten... put posters up for weeks and no one claimed her)... she can't even catch bugs, the squirrels pick on her (and the dog), and even the robins won't bother leaving when she is 6 feet away. She does however make the best paperweight known to mankind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:47 pm 

We don't have chipmunks, but we have had an assortment of gopher, ground squirrels, mice, lizards and even the neighbor's baby chicks :oops: the last few months. There is no way of keeping Pretty in when she gets headstrong. She will utterly destroy the house if she is locked inside. Usually starting with knocking down as many houseplants as possible in the night, then she will push dishes out of cabinets. Finally, she will pee on everthing and everyone before we finally cave and throw her out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:56 pm 

as soon as the kittens are weaned, get the procedure done - then you won't have to worry about her peeing on the bed while you're all comfy under the covers!! :)

any pics of the kittens, yet??