The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chickadee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:00 pm 

Got some new camera gear last week. I thought I was pretty good with a camera until I made this upgrade. :roll: But I'm slowly starting to get the feel for the complexity of manual settings.

Wildlife photography is something I've always wanted to do. Now the only thing holding me back are my lack of skills. :wink:

This photo is not great, but much better than what I was taking a few days ago. When you are using a long telephoto hand held you have to learn how to breath and shoot much like you do with a gun.

Click on thumb twice for large jpeg

Post subject: Re: Chickadee
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:22 pm 

I'd say that's a very good photo. Nicely done. What camera did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I'm considering a digital SLR sometime in the future. Wildlife photography is my favorite, but the focal length of my current camera isn't long enough, especially when I go to the wildlife refuge. Swans reside there during the winter and they're always too far away for my camera.

I hope you'll post some more pictures. Have fun learning!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:58 am 

luv2grdn wrote:
I'd say that's a very good photo. Nicely done. What camera did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I'm considering a digital SLR sometime in the future. Wildlife photography is my favorite, but the focal length of my current camera isn't long enough, especially when I go to the wildlife refuge. Swans reside there during the winter and they're always too far away for my camera.

I hope you'll post some more pictures. Have fun learning!

Thanks!

Got a Canon 50D. The lens that came with the body was a 18-135mm which seems to be a pretty good walk around lens. But love the 100-400L telephoto I also got for wildlife photography.

My first passion was wildlife photography. I now have the gear to tinker with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 pm 

Thanks. I've looked at Canons and Nikons, but not very seriously yet. I need to wait for the medical costs to slow down.

I've missed so many good photo opportunities on our land. We have Hawks, bald eagles, herons, and various small birds. Occasionally a bald eagle will fly through low down, weaving through the trees. I'd never get a picture of that, though, unless I happened to have a camera set up and pointed in that direction, but the chance of that is slim. They come and go so fast and if they don't make a sound, I don't know they're coming. I've only seen it happen once, and it was only because he announced his arrival. It would be a great picture if I could catch it.

I see people at the refuge with big telephoto lenses and they get some great pictures. If I get a better camera, I'll probably spend 1/2 a day there at least.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 am 

Nice shot! I learned photography on a fully manual camera. Then I got an automatic with a bunch of bells and whistles, because of my eyesight beginning to fail I needed auto focus. I felt dumb as a rock trying to work that camera. Keep working at it and give it some time. You will get use to it.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:28 am 

luv2grdn wrote:
Thanks. I've looked at Canons and Nikons, but not very seriously yet. I need to wait for the medical costs to slow down.

I've missed so many good photo opportunities on our land. We have Hawks, bald eagles, herons, and various small birds. Occasionally a bald eagle will fly through low down, weaving through the trees. I'd never get a picture of that, though, unless I happened to have a camera set up and pointed in that direction, but the chance of that is slim. They come and go so fast and if they don't make a sound, I don't know they're coming. I've only seen it happen once, and it was only because he announced his arrival. It would be a great picture if I could catch it.

I see people at the refuge with big telephoto lenses and they get some great pictures. If I get a better camera, I'll probably spend 1/2 a day there at least.

I hope you get to feeling better and have the opportunity soon to upgrade.

My telephoto is not a monster by any means, but still very nice. It's about 14" long when wide open with the lens hood on. My wife calls it a big honker. :wink:

foxykitten350234 wrote:
Nice shot! I learned photography on a fully manual camera. Then I got an automatic with a bunch of bells and whistles, because of my eyesight beginning to fail I needed auto focus. I felt dumb as a rock trying to work that camera. Keep working at it and give it some time. You will get use to it.

Foxy.

Thanks Foxy!

I do use auto focus when shooting two or three frames very quickly.

More things make sense as days go by. I'm starting to take some decent photos.