The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paper Wasps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:04 am 

I like having these guys around since they eat a lot of cabbage moth larvae, but the other day when I went to water my broccoli, I saw some leaves that were chewed up pretty good. I thought that it was strange since I haven't had problems like that in years. So I went to look at the nests under the eaves and discovered none were in use and there are usually several on 3 sides of the house. I have never seen a lack of them around like this before and I wonder what in the heck could've happened to them. We haven't sprayed any kind of chemicals around. The only thing that changed this spring was that we emptied our pool out to re-level it and it was without any water for a few weeks due to our daughter's appendectomy. I know they'd get water from it. There were probably less chemicals in it this year than in past years, due to it being new water. Anyone else experience this, or am I the only one that likes having them around? :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Paper Wasps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:23 am 

Maybe they all moved over here :) I never use to see them, now I'm finding their nests everywhere.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:37 am 

Well, send some back here! :wink: It is so strange not to have any. I also asked on a regional forum to see if anyone else in my area has the same problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm 

I spotted one small nest with some activity today, but very few. Hopefully the population will increase again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 pm 

I hate those things! If I wasn't deathly ill of bug spray, I'd kill every last one which makes a nest here. They get into the eaves and eat their way through the roof! They are the most distructive insects I've ever seen. The make holes in the walls and ceiling and sting anything which moves. I would prefer having cockroaches again before I'd admit to enjoying wasps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 am 

That doesn't sound like our paper wasps I'm speaking of. They haven't harmed the house at all. They do such a great job of keeping the worms out of the broccoli and other cole crops and are very docile. I once hung some outdoor blinds, working very close to one nest and they never once came after me. It was on a cool morning, so that slowed them down a bit. They build their paper nests under the eaves and just work there the whole time.

What you're talking about sounds like what yellow jackets here will do. Those I don't encourage, even though they do some good too. They can be quite mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:47 am 

I know the difference between paper wasps and yellow jackets. My MIL was stung a couple hundred times by yellow jackets when she walked over a nest in a dress. Yellow jackets make nests in the ground, while wasps make nests in the eaves usualy right above a window or door and come out at any disturbance with guns blazing. They also attack the local baby bird populations. They are worse than fire ants IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 am 

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the difference. I was just pondering the thoughts since they aren't aggressive here unless you disturb their nest directly. That's the only time anyone here has gotten stung by them. I was probably only about 6" away from a nest when I was drilling holes for putting up the blinds and they just went about their work. I kept a close eye on them though and was ready to quit if they complained. I'll keep them and you can have the fire ants. :D

Yellow jackets here will have nests in the ground and in attics. There have been some news stories about them doing that and getting into the house too. That would be bad! I had them come after me one time when after I went over their nest a few times with the riding mower. I can't blame them for getting irritated. They sure followed me a long way and I got stung several times.

My dd got stung by a honey bee yesterday. She was just standing in the pool not doing anything and it landed on her and stung her. Maybe the heat got to it. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:20 pm 

The best treatment for bee stings is mud. Just spit on the ground and dab it on the sting, let it dry then peal it off. This is what we always did growing up and it worked. The saliva mixes with something in the soil and draws the poison out. Water can be used to make the mud also but it is not usually something you have immediately on hand and time is very important when drawing the poison out. I heard that meat tenderizer made into a paste helps also.

I agree yellow jackets are worse than wasps, but wasps will try to draw blood if provoked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm 

I have a product for stings that works pretty well, plus I have some clay in a liquid that I applied to it, so all the redness was gone that evening. I also gave her a high dose of vitamin C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:29 am 

I saw a couple on my broccoli yesterday, so I wonder if they just retreated to the woods when it was so hot. 105 on the south side of the house would be a toasty spot for their nests in the eaves! We don't get that hot here very often, so I have no idea if it would drive them away.

It's good timing if they are coming back since my broccoli is just starting to form heads. I really like it much better when I don't have to remove the worms, so much easier.

Am I the only one that likes them? :? :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:05 pm 

The only ones that bother me are the yellowjackets. Mainly because almost every year I manage to get nailed by one that repeatedly stings the bottom of my foot. :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:08 am 

I agree, the yellow jackets are the worst. There are some hornets that are pretty bad too, but we haven't had a nest of any yet, although there is one nest under the eaves that is from something else. I haven't seen any signs of life around it, but I should look it up to find out what made it. I suspect a hornet.

That must hurt quite a bit getting stung on the bottom of your foot. I haven't had that happen yet. I usually watch the grass if I'm walking barefoot since we do have honey bees around and clover in the grass.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:52 am 

lol they get in through the side of my sandals!!! It hurts like you wouldn't believe!! My foot swells up so big I can't wear shoes for many hours afterwards. Yellowjackets and I have a long standing feud. Better it happens to me than my daughter I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:33 am 

stick a hose in their nest, turn the water on, then leave the area until they are flooded out. We had to dig holes in out yard right where a yellow jacket nest was and the drenching really kept them from attaking. I find the less I water the more nests of yellow jackets I find.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:49 am 

boy oh boy.. thank goodness we don't have an overpopulation of yellow jackets. What we do have is "FIRE ANTS". You destroy one nest and you find 10 more...It never ending...I have been stung and restung....however, the last sting I got I put on alchol, I washed it off with soap and wa ter really really good then I dumped alchol on the spot. And little bumps came up but NO NO Swelling as I usually got.

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA