The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wasps and Cell Towers
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:14 am 

I'm beginning to wonder if the cell tower that went up nearby is what caused the disappearance of most of the paper wasps we always had. The pastures to the north of us get sprayed for weeds every spring too, so that could've done the harm. I had wormy broccoli for the first time in a long time last year and probably will this year too. I miss having them around. They're not a problem to have around either since they're not aggressive like yellow jackets and others.

So I'm wondering if anyone else with a cell tower has noticed a change in any creatures habits.

Post subject: Re: Wasps and Cell Towers
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:32 am 
Administrator

Luv,
What a great subject. I have not a clue though. I hope someone can ring in with experience.
Have you noticed any other bees or wasps population decline.
Were I to guess I would look more into the spraying. You can contact your county Agricultural Agent and pick hers/his mind. There is a chance that an unapproved insecticide is being used to save a buck or two. The County Agent can look into that too.
Do you notice any dead wasps at the base of the tower? I don't think you will but it is worth a look see. Other radio transmission towers could possibly affect the bugs navigation system. That again is really stretching things.
Cell towers have been blamed for a lot of stuff but I have yet to read any peer reviewed research on any of the alleged nasties they cause.
Please ring in if you can offer anything to this problem.
Make your day Grrrrreat!!!
ArizonaEd

Post subject: Re: Wasps and Cell Towers
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:07 am 

I have no clue either. It's just the fact that it happened in conjunction with the cell tower going in. Not the first year it was in, though. It could've been some illness or predator that got them. I don't use any pesticides on our 4 acres and neither do my neighbors to the south on their 4 acres. I paint roundup on some weeds, but rarely and not near their nests. We had a lot of active nests on the house before this happened.

It's possible the county did some spraying. Not many people appreciate paper wasps like I do, so I don't know that there would be many who cared enough to look into it. They're very docile creatures and have been no problem to us, even when the nest is above a door. I was drilling right beside some nests one year when I was installing a shade and they never got agitated. I was watching them close, though, and did it in the cool of the morning.

I never saw any dead ones around. I need to knock down all the unused nests so I can see if any more are made.