PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 pm 

Starting to get some good eats

Post subject: Re: Alaska garden pics
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:03 pm 

6-29-11 pic

New garden helper pic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:24 pm 

Lookin' good!! All those long days of sunshine make things grow so fast it seems. Your helper has grown and looks like she'd be a good helper now. It's a fun age to have them help in the garden. My youngest just graduated and will be off to college next year. She didn't get my gardening interest that I've seen, but she has many other talents.

I'm going to be using ground cloth too so I can get ahead of the weeds in the pathways. It is bad after the neglect last year. All the spring rain made for lots of lush growth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:38 pm 

Thanks L2
Grand kids have fun in the garden, love to play in the water buckets so I learned to keep them almost empty when they are coming & let them water the plants & not make mud puddles :).

Had flies on the onions & lost several with root maggots. I put on bout 1/8 inch of wood ashes.
It helped quite a bit but still lost a few more. So it helps but needs to be on before the fly eggs hatch & make it to the roots. Netting may be the answer for next year. Used some fly paper & caught several but would be nice to stop the cycle & be rid of them.

Weeds, AARG. Never ending. wind & birds are always going to bring in more so I keep up best I can.
Covering last year really helped reduce the weed seeds but slugs loved hiding under the landscape cloth. That's why I pull most of it up this year.
Good mental therapy to go pull weeds, well I say that, but it would be nice to not have the issue. But with good soil for the garden plants, weeds do real well too, so we gotta put up with weeds & just stay after them. I may try mixing in lots wood ashes between the beds to help with weeds & bugs. Hoping lots of ashes change the PH enough that weeds & bugs don't so as well. Then just have to work on weeding the beds for my mental therapy :) LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:36 pm 

getting lot of garden eats

Attachments:
Grd7-6-11a.JPG
Grd7-6-11a.JPG [ 646.8 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]