The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Indoor growing.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:26 pm 

Has anyone had any luck growing indoors with artificial light. I was cleaning out my basement cause now I have a garage 8) . I have an old work shop area that I want to use to grow some plants. I have heard of people using low hanging fluorescents really close to the plants. I do that when I am starting seeds, and have been successful. I would like to try growing somethings inside. For about 2 weeks I have been growing a few lettuce plants. With safety and budget in mind any thoughts or pics.

Post subject: Re: Indoor growing.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:23 am 

I have a hobby greenhouse that has been pretty good for growing early tomatoes, but it was always done in soil in buckets with hand irrigation.

I decided late this summer that I'd have a shot at a bubbler hydroponic system to see what it would do with cucumbers. I got a 6 place bubbler on Ebay and planted one cucumber and a couple of tomatoes in it. The cucumber plant quickly filled up the green house to the point that I had to build a net system about 8' x 8' at the top to accommodate the vine. Needless to say, we ate as many cucumbers as we could and gave them away to anyone who would take them, and this was from a single plant.

I have a basement office and am experimenting with growing a couple of tomato plants under fluorescents. I made my own bubbler system this time and the plants are doing great. i probably have about $20.00 in the system with the most expensive parts being the water circulation pump and the air pump.

I don't know if I can provide enough light to the plants over the winter, but I'm a tinkerer and failure isn't a new or traumatic experience to me. I'll see how it goes.

I do plan to set up about 6 bubbler systems in the greenhouse in the spring and grow tomatoes. I'm confident that if they can get the light, the hydroponic system is well worth a try.

Just a note, though. If you do begin to buy hydroponic supplies online, most of them will come in "plain brown packaging". :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 pm 

An old friend just opened a Hydroponic shop and I just checked it out. He has stuff growing that just grows really fast. He said it is the hydro that makes it grow like that cause it is nutrients instead of soil. I don't know it just seems weird but it works. I saw a lot of stuff growing. And I even looked to see if it was sunlight helping and it was all artificial. In the garden I found a small tomato and oregano plant and moved it into my little area under regular fluorescents very low and it seems well so far. But I wanna go bigger with a small amount of money. The fat lettuce plant in the 2nd picture is about 7 inches tall. The other 2 were too tall when I planted them but don't taste bad. The tomato is about 5.

Attachments:
100_5246.JPG
100_5246.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 682 times ]
100_5245.JPG
100_5245.JPG [ 1009.9 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:25 am 

Your indoor grow room will consist of the following:
1. Plants in either soil or other medium like perlite works exceptionally in soil less environments.
2. Grow lights. Your results will depend largely on lights, you can achieve reasonable results.
3. A watering system, weather you just use a bucket or a timer and pump plants must be regularly watered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm 

get a timer for your light.. saves a lot of work.

My name is Brad, and I live at the gardens - palm beach gardens. My goal is to be completely self sufficient and only buy some of my food from the local market. I currently run a real estate property listings website. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 am 

I grow a continuous supply of lettuce and basil in the basement under lights. I also start all my outdoor veggies under lights as well.

Agreed on timers. It will save you a lot of headaches.

I would also recommend locking pulleys for your lights. It makes it a lot easier to check on them, water, etc.

http://frugalhydroponics.blogspot.com/

Zone 5a: