The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: potager definition
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:00 pm 

i read the following today - nice ring

A Potage garden is no mere vegetable patch?with a perfect blend of aesthetics and utility, it's a stylish garden offering both edible and visual delights. The fruits, flowers, herbs, and vegetables you grow and harvest there will feed you and your family?and your spirits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:07 pm 

Very nice! So much more than an edible landscape. Then again, I like those, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:24 pm 

Thanks, Mr. Toad! For me this is a novel idea although I would imagine it's been around for a very long time!! I can see I need to entirely rethink my gardens!! Poor DH....just when he thought he could sit down and relax!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:50 pm 

Buffalogal wrote:
Thanks, Mr. Toad! For me this is a novel idea although I would imagine it's been around for a very long time!! I can see I need to entirely rethink my gardens!! Poor DH....just when he thought he could sit down and relax!! :)

My dh could tell him there's no chance of relaxing when he's married to a gardener. :D
I may be creating a potage garden without knowing it. This is my first time hearing about them for some reason. I'm surrounding all of my vegie beds with 2 layers of mortared stones and will have gravel paths. I only did the stones to keep the moles from dumping soil on the paths, never knew it had a name. Mine won't look as nice as mrtoads, but at least I might get it done some day. I'd never get it done if I was doing brick pathways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:48 pm 

How different is a Potager Garden from the Victory Garden?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:40 am 

NiftyNabber wrote:
How different is a Potager Garden from the Victory Garden?????

I don't think it is much different. However, that being said, I am finding most posting about this subject (GW) identify it as raised beds laid out in a more formal pattern with a central focal point, then enclosed in hedge or picket fence or something of that sort.
My garden has flowers, veggies, and a few fruit trees scattered here and there and I have herbs in flower beds, but there is not much pattern going on here! I am more a buy it, find a place for it, and plant it kind of gardener. So I guess I don't qualify as having their kind of potager. I'm not much on labels anyway.

I have seen pictures online of what looks just like my garden, rows of veggies, rows of flowers, some fruit trees, then I have seen lots of the much more intricate ones. Mine certainly wouldn't win any decorator design awards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:47 pm 

I had a potager put in as a 20th anniversary present from my husband. It has raised beds made from cedar and gravel paths. I designed it myself. I also put a 5 foot fence around it to keep the deer out.

Here's a view of it from my bathroom window:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:49 pm 

And here's another pic:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:59 pm 
Lovely!!

What has been your plant selection for your potager? Do you have a mix, or more of either flowers/veggies/herbs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:03 am 

The first year I had about 2/3rds veggies and 1/3 flowers, and four smaller central beds of herbs and some flowers. If I can find my old design I'll scan it and post it here.

This past year I planted less of everything because I had so many weeds to get rid of! I need a bunch of old carpet to put down over the beds I'm not using, like they do in England. I have done the newspaper and mulch thing but my mistake was in making the garden too big. There are just too many beds. And I have other gardens to tend to also (a pool garden area, the front garden, and two large back area borders).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:58 am 

Julia, have you ever used a cover crop on your unused beds? It's easier than mulching with newspaper. In the summer you can plant buckwheat, which grows fast and helps keep weeds down. Crimson clover is a nice one. It's not an invasive one like other clovers. Fava beans can go be planted in late summer to fill in the beds for the winter.
Some day I'll get organized and do this on all my vegie beds! :lol:

Last edited by luv2grdn on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:38 am 

No, I've never tried a cover crop--but it's something I'll look into.

Post subject: Re: potager definition
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:17 pm 

Hmmm I was wondering what a potager was!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 am 

I never did look up the defination in a dictionary as I most probably should have and I've been curious as to what a potager was. Now I know. We sure don't have one, we do have raised bed for our vegetables and each bed is separate so you can walk between them, but nothing fancy, just convenience. I use to never be much of an outdoor gardener, until a couple of years ago. I think I've gotten the bug thou and now especially since I'm retired.

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:36 am 

A potager can be quite a challenging undertaking. It will help to keep a garden notebook, recording the varieties of vegetables you plant, where the seed came from and the planting and harvesting dates. To keep the potager producing, rotate crops every year, and renew the soil with compost.