The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Riddle me this?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:51 am 

I have come to brugmansia's late in my gardening life. I've only even known what they were for the last 5 years. So, slowly but with certain progression, more and more of them have been moving into my yard. Mostly in pots, but I just jumped off the pier and planted one in the ground.

Last year I noticed a purchase of the fall before developing scent as it aged. That was nice. It has lovely pinky blooms, and now smells just as sweet as it looks.

The brug I decided to plant in the ground, has potato-like leaves, and is a cleaner, less pest ridden plant. So I felt it was a good candidate for front yard occupancy. I picked it up at HD last summer, and it did a creditable job of blooming during Summer and Fall last year.

When I got it planted out, I took some pictures.
As those flowers that you can see aged, I noticed they had put on weight! Was I completely BLOWN away, when I noticed that over Winter this plant had changed from a single bloomer to a double?

You BET!

What the heck makes blooms change form???
This was a sweet single all last summer.

They should be completely open tonight when I get home, can hardly wait to take a sniff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:10 pm 

Haven't ever heard of brugs changing from singles to doubles before and haven't seen it in my experience with the plants. Perhaps brugs are like a lot of other plants and as they age their flowers can change in appearance, color, etc. Nice looking bloom and early in the season at that!

Miguel