The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magnolia liliflora damage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:19 pm 

Greetings all. I have a Magnolia liliflora that has damage to the bark. At first it looked like maybe it was damaged when young, and I figured it would grow out of it. The bark looks like it shrank away from itself, leaving gaps in the coverage. The tree still is healthy and blooms over a long period, but I wonder if the winters near O?F/ -18?C would cause winter injury. Anybody in zone 6 or colder growing the species M. liliflora and noting damage? Need a pic? I can get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:10 pm 

A pic would be best. Could it be winter burn? Typically long vertical splits in the bark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:48 pm 

Finally took a pic and am learning to post. Size is still an issue sometimes. I too thought cold. The first year it was quite severe on the biggest trunk in the photo, still has funny looking bark near the ground. This year some of the other leaders have wicked places where there is no bark. Tree functions normally, it has even managed to almost wholly escape the severe freezing we had this week. This is the species tree, not any cultivar so far as I know, although it must have a name. I know that Japan's temps are more moderate than the swings we have here, and I too am thinking freeze stress, but it just doesn't look quite right for some reason.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... CF0877.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:30 pm 

Yikes, Pete.

I know very, very little about any of this. I was checking the pix to see if it looked like something I've been dealing with. But, no. I've not seen damage like that before either. If you do find out, let us know, back here, eh?

Good to see you using hosting sites and such. (Shutterfly is free and stores acres and acres of stuff. Not a promo, or anything. Just widening your possibilities with personal experience. :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:24 pm 

Hi Pete,
i don't have any answers, but I can say my magnolia 'Jane' (I think) had similar bark damage. I always assumed it was due to something hitting and damaging the bark -mostly because home renovations were always sending stray shingles or 2x4 scraps into the nearby trees and shrubs.... but the damage looks very similar to what you have.

This might not be relevant, but mine is planted on the North side of the house. The tree doesn't get much winter sun and I suspect winter sun is a contributing factor to winter damage?

I don't know if any of the damage is still visible. I cut the tree back to about 10 inches last summer and it's a clump of new growth and short stubs now.