The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Privacy? Bushes, trees?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 pm 

Hi!
I am very new to having a yard and gardening, so I don't even know what I don't know if that makes sense.
We have a small space, maybe 50' x 20',and I am interested in making it a lush, green outdoor space, almost a room. I love flowers, but they aren't as important to me as green foliage. I love leaves!
We have 2 spots where we need some sort of privacy screen, both full sun all day, and we need some height now and/or need them to be fast growing. We do not have room for them to grow depth wise though because of the small yard. Also, hoping to do this on a budget if possible. Thought about Arbor Vitae, but it's expensive, and I prefer leafy softness and visual interest and I get the feeling they'd grow out as well and encroach on the yard.
The one area is roughly 20' long, the other maybe 20' long as well but on the side of a paved driveway in a patch of earth about a foot and a half wide.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Kim

Post subject: Re: Privacy? Bushes, trees?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:54 pm 

hi, kim, and welcome!

what zone are you in and what kind of soil do you have?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:01 pm 

joclyn wrote:
hi, kim, and welcome!

what zone are you in and what kind of soil do you have?

Hi Joclyn! I appreciate the help.
As for the zone, I'm zone 5b in Michigan.
Soil? Hmmmm. That I do not know. What do I judge it on? Sorry to be so ignorant!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 pm 

no apology needed!!! everyone is new at gardening at some point :)

here, it's mostly clay - which means it's got a reddish tone to it once you get down below the topsoil stuff (the stuff that's laid after construction to put the sod in).

some areas have clay, some have sandy (mostly areas near water), some are mostly silt and others are very rocky and some have more loamy stuff (which is a mix of clay, sand & silt). your state seems to have quite the diversity when it comes to soil types!!

check this site for more info:
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/landowners_guide/habitat_mgmt/Planning/Knowing_Your_Soil.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:28 pm 

A lot will depend on your watering needs, too, Kimberly, and how much pruning you want to do. Most hedging material requires regular pruning if you really want a nice, thick privacy screen. You should probably count on 3 feet for depth, or your hedge might look a little sparse.

Personally, I prefer cedars and other evergreens for green all year. Cedars will do best with lots of water, so I strung a soaker hose under a surface of cedar mulch when I planted them to save time, effort and water.

Alternatively, there are some beautiful blooming deciduous bushes that you could try. You can even use plants with foliage color in red/orange or lime/yellow shades. In fact, for variety, you could intersperse different colors with some evergreens. Who says a hedge has to be all the same plant? Get creative and do what YOU like. :)