The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:17 am 

Was given a banana tree last year that I planted in the bottom half of large shop vac. Did very well during the Summer and when the Fall frosts came and the tree wilted back, I cut it off at ground level and heaped leaves all around it to keep it from freezing.

Now that the warm weather is here, I now have two sprouts coming up from the original plant. Was wondering if I can leave them and let them grow in the same pot or do I need to somehow (if possible) to divide them and put one in a separate pot.

Thanks for you input.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:23 pm 

You can go with either option. Two will be fine together in the pot but you just might need to water or fertilize a little more to compensate for the extra plant. I sometimes find that one will take over and the others offsets will hang back and remain small until they get an opening.

If you want to divide it, move a little soil and take a look down at where the offset grew off the main root. There should be a joint or a point where it looks like the two plants can be cut apart. Just slice through there with either a knife or shovel.

:roll: I should have kept that broken shop vac.... didn't think of just using the base.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:33 am 

Yes if baby plants have sprouted around your banana plant, you can separate them and end up with 3 or 4 plants. They make great gifts or keep them to start your own tropical jungle.