The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Witchhazel
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:22 am 

I can't spell Hamammelis (?), and spell check only gives me words like hammerlocks and hammertoes, so I'll use the familiar name.

This actually was in bloom about a month ago. A nice subtle native that is rarely planted or even found at a nursery. It blooms when few things do, is deer resistant and is a nice dark green in the summer. What's not to like?

Another native is this Ilex verticillata (Winterberry Holly) that was grown from seed I collected in the swamp. To the right is Malus sargentii, appearing red from the load of fruits on it this year. Photo from a week ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 am 

The witch hazel can be pruned low to make a seasonal bonsai.
It does bloom at a good time of year for state or county fair display as bonsai. (the leaves don't reduce well enough)

Winterberry doesn't adapt well enough ie back bud well enough to pot train.

The seargents sure does adapt to tray planting. Let it grow out in the feild and trim it back once it starts blooming.

Witch hazel is an understory tree if left unpruned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:29 pm 

Spell check does provide some laughs now and then. :D

I didn't know there were hazels that bloomed so late. What a nice treat for the fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:21 pm 

beautiful, pete!!

and thank you!! i've been working up a list of plants and flowers for a friends new house...and was missing something and now, thanks to you, i've found it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:37 am 

L2G, some Witch Hazels bloom in the fall, some bloom in the spring. Each time though, they are either the first thing to bloom or the last thing to bloom. All have been deer resistant for me.

Hi all. Tom, Hamamelis (thank you Google) as bonsai? Interesting, but like you say, big leaves must make it odd. The Malus as bonsai though must be really pretty. With my being away for work so often though, bonsai have little chance here.

Jocyln, if you do choose a Hamamelis, one to avoid is 'Sunburst', a hybrid. It is grafted and 2 specimens here have not succeeded, that is, the top died and whatever they use for rootstock was left. Both flourished for several years before graft rejection. Don't know what is going on. They also hold the leaves whilst in bloom, so the show is only marginally better than the species.

The best Hamamelis in my clay soils have been (besides virginiana) H. vernalis cultivars. These are also the best reds too, but, as the name implies, they bloom in the spring. For me (you might be a bit earlier) this is late Feb to mid-March. Depends on the spring we are having.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 pm 

Aha, another native witchhazel grower... Hi Pete and all.
I had a fantastic bloom this year on my young plant, and well ahead of leaf decline. Also had no mildew this year, as had previous 2 years. How do you grow yours Pete?

Life is short, seize the moment

Post subject: Re: Witchhazel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:49 pm 

The proportions of the woody part of this plant are workable as bonsai. It like Oaks are best in the early spring as leaves are opening and for Hammamelis when it is in bloom.

Dey calls dat "seasonal".