The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:41 am 

I have recently moved house and am in a lovely leafy suburb in Sydney, Australia. The house is nestled underneith a group of some 5-6 giant gum trees on the top of hill in a nice quiet street (which you can see in this satellite image, thanks to Google Earth).

These trees are absolutely magnificent and each would stand at least 4 stories high.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there has hugged a tree lately... and if so... Did you like it? What sort of tree was it? Did anyone see you do it?

This is the tree I hugged the other day... I could only just get my arms half way around it's huge smooth trunk and for a split second time stood still. All my stresses and worries disappeared and I felt one with nature if only for a moment. If you have never tried it, I truely recommend it. Give it a go... don't be shy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stutters/sets/

I'm not a TOTAL idiot.... parts of me are missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:05 am 

The biggest gum tree on my block is only about as tall as a house. I can reach round the trunk with one arm :)

Round here its Beeches and Oaks that you can't hug properly because they're too big!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:07 am 

I have hugged a tree, though not recently. What stands out to me was that the bark was rough on my cheek! That tree looks like a much better hugger! :D
-Ais.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:45 am 

Wah! I don't have a huggable tree. Mine are too little to really get a good hug-on. And the neighbor's trees are so diseased - poor things! Nobody takes care of them, trims them, feeds them, waters them....oops, wait a minute - I water them from my side of the fence, and I always talk to the one with the big root that has pushed it's way under my fence. I say, "there ya go, big boy, a nice big drink for you!"

BTW, Stutters, in your little by-line about slinkies, there is a good use for them. I saw this in a Birds & Blooms magazine. Let them drape down your bird feeder pole and the squirrels can't climb up to get to the food. Cool, huh?

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:18 pm 

plantbugais wrote:
I have hugged a tree, though not recently. What stands out to me was that the bark was rough on my cheek! That tree looks like a much better hugger! :D
-Ais.

Yeah, it's a great tree to hug... so much so that my new neighbours think I'm a weirdo and my wife is starting to get jealous :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:22 am 

LOL! I hugged a tree on Friday... but I had spikes on (because was taking down the tree).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:07 pm 

SB_Johnny wrote:
LOL! I hugged a tree on Friday... but I had spikes on (because was taking down the tree).

...the hug of death!!! :twisted:

You need to hug two trees now... SPIKES OFF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:56 pm 

That's nice, smooth, huggable bark. Most of the trees (at least the larger ones) around here have rough bark that is very uncomfortable to hug. The only type of tree I've seen around here that keeps smooth bark even when it gets large is beech, and we don't have any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:00 am 

does a rub or caress count? :)
i like to touch the bark of trees and occasionally pass the back side of my hand over the foliage of my japanese maple by the front door.

the leaves are very soft to the touch this time of year.

"Deep Thoughts" by
Jack Handey (from SNL)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm 

[quote="jeff_al"]does a rub or caress count? :)
quote]

Hey, what you do with your little japanese friend is your business. Who am I to pass judgement... :shock: :oops:

I suppose a rub or caress is better than nothing... but not quite the same feeling as latching on to big tree and looking up in awe... like a child hugging a parents leg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm 

..no,I would wrench my back..... I don't share this poetic Wordsworthian view of mother nature,though I wish I did...sometimes I'll pull out a nicely illustrated book:Wordsworth for the Young;Cynthia Morgan St. John;(1891).... I often think that I should have taken up knitting...counting stitches in a worn out rocker;a scrawny livid geranium on the windowsill and an old clock ticking on the mantel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:17 am 

My most huggable trees have so many things planted under them I can't get to them for hugging, but I do regularly pat and stroke, not only trees but soft things, fragrant leaves, plants that aren't doing too well to encourage them, plants that are doing very well to congratulate them--yeah, I'm nuts. I enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:30 pm 

I can no longer hunch my back low enough to get under the pine trees, and the Japanese Maple would probably break in two. The contorted mulberry is difficult for me to wind my way into, with the caveat that my granddaughter has no problems at all. She climbs it!

But, in my heart, I will be a tree hugger! How's that?

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:00 am 

Look what too much hugging can do to your tree!!! Does my breath smell???

Before

after

But seriously... we've had quite a number of awesome storms lately and two of the big gum trees in my front yard were fried by lightning stikes :shock: YIKES!!!