The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:01 am 

Having never owned a blade of grass this is all new to me.
It's about 15' tall. Some of the leaves are all green and others are as pictured. Along with identification I would like to know when and how I should cut this back (shrub is in lower NY state). Needing to take about 5' off the top. Thanks.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:27 pm 

Hi Steve, welcome!
I'm pretty sure you have a type of evergreen Euonymus there (Euonymus kiautschovica maybe?). It's a hard-to-kill plant that looks presentable year round, unless it has the life sucked out of it by scale insects... but don't worry about that unless it comes up.

Pruning is easy, you could even cut it down to within inches of the ground and it would happily sprout back. If you want five feet off the top, go ahead and whack it back six, that will give it a little room to grow back to a nice form. Try to get the pruning done between now and mid March. These bushes start growing real early so you want the pruning done before the spring flush of growth.

If you like this bush, stick a few of the smaller branches into the ground, keep them well watered and see if they root.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:28 pm 

Looks like a Rhodie to me. I expect there are little wanna-be blosom clusters towards the top of the bush.

Rhodies are somewhat britlle and are also not top dominant, meaning they'll want to make branches most from the side not the top--and branches break.

Limit its spreading by pruning, prune lightly (or not at all) on the top.

Like peat, bark mulch, and occasional sulphur here in NH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 pm 

I think it's a Euonymus too. But 15 ft is a bit tall for this species. But almost certainly Euonymus judging from the seed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:53 am 

Thanks thus far. It is interfering with the rain gutters and forcing itself under the roofing tile (although not clearly visible in the picture). It is fairly tall. That is a 6' fence in the background. Also shown is the back against the house. Since I do have to prune it somewhat - is there a method? I bought bypass loping shears. Angle cuts? Distance from main branches? etc.

Post subject: better pic of the berries
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 am 

Not sure if I should be calling them berries or seeds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:20 pm 

it's definitely not a rhody - the leaves are the wrong shape, they don't produce berries and they branch differently.

euonymus is probably correct. can't help with pruning info though, sorry!

oh, and welcome, steve!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:51 pm 

Yup thats not a rhody cluster. Euonymus runs to the top of my guess'.

JUst always leave a leaf set on any branch you prune that you don't want to die off.

I like anvil pruners for most work, the few bypass clippers I have are for bonsai.

On full size plants you want to leave a little stub of the branch you cut off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:09 pm 

Wow that's a monster! I didn't know they could get that big!

Are lopping shears the ones with the long handles? ...wait a minute Google tells me they are.... those are perfect for this job. You can get in there and take care of the large branches without having to shove your head in and poke an eye out.

You've already got some good pruning advice, i just wanted to encourage you not to be timid with it. This is a good plant to practice on since it re-sprouts well. Try to be patient as the plant might take into the summer before it starts resprouting. Post more pictures when you're done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:08 pm 

I didn't cut nearly what I set out to do. Took off about 3 feet of the 5-6. Difficult to gauge when I was up on the ladder. Was finding some odd branches at the top - looked as if they were melding together. I may go back at it or leave it until next season. Does it look OK? or should it be more shaggy as before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:45 pm 

Looks like you have chopped it back to the size you want it to be? If you do that, and keep doing it to maintain that size, you will have a very dense ball or hedge. If you want the shaggy natural look then you will have to cut back further and let it grow back out. Don't cut all the branches back exactly the same distance.

Use the DDD rule, anything dead, damaged, or diseased comes out completely. Remove branches which are crossing, anything that is just growing straight through the middle of the shrub and out the other side, and anything that is very weak and spindly. That might be enough, if not you can prune back the weaker stems hard, and probably leave the stronger ones as a framework since you have already cut back more or less to the size you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 pm 

i like the way it looks now.

and that height would be managable - you'd probably only need to trim it back to that level every couple of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:14 am 

looks good! You're already a pro.