The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paw Paw
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:37 pm 

I finally got some paw paw in their fruit today to put under cold stratification.

I have probably bartered 200+ of this seed and always gotten it (in the past) dried and cleaned. Of ALL of those seeds only one ever germinated.

Probably not everyone is going to see a tupperware box fulla what look like rotting poops, as christmas come early, but I do.

Tree montsh of cold wet slumber and I expect a bunch of these to pop open in the spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:04 pm 

Hi tomc. The secret is to not let the seed dry out. Even just a few hours of dryness kills the incipient plant. Once removed from the fruit, they should be kept moist, like in an open baggie in some damp paper towel. No need to plant the whole fruit, and reasons not to.

There may be some chemicals in the fruit that prevents germination. This is very common in the plant world, but I do not know for sure if that is the case with pawpaw. Nonetheless, planting the whole fruit will result in several trees growing in the same place, and trying to separate them will almost surely break the fragile roots and kill the plant.

Do not expect much growth the first year. Sometimes you will only get 2 leaves while the huge taproot drills down. The following year, you should get about a foot of growth.

Good luck with your trees. With seed grown stock, sometimes the fruit is insipid or worse. Another reason to eat the fruit and plant the seed, decent fruit has a better chance of producing decent fruit bearing trees. All pawpaws are good, some are just better. This is a pic of some of the ones here last summer. Eventually the clumps you see made 2 fruit each, but I thought they looked cute at this stage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... CF1087.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:22 pm 

Hi Pete, I have seedling paw paw growing, OK resting dormantly in the cold frame. Its just a chore to get damp tree seed, and have just put onto pot(s) the ones I cleaned yeaterday.

I also have about 40 Lb of Michael Dirrs books, ok ok thats just the preface of one of 'em. But anyway Its a learning curve to persuade others to be my legs for me.