The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chionanthus virginianicus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:05 am 

The photo does not do this tree justice at all. This is a native tree/shrub that should be carried by almost every garden center but is only occasionally seen. Here at my place it has not had one leaf touched by deer, although they have eaten the lilies that are close by. The deer have munched the Rhus typhina 'Bali Tiger', the apple and even decapitated the cutting garden flowers, but have not bothered to sample this plant. Just a nice, nice plant in IMHO.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... CF0976.jpg

Edited for spelling of the species name. But while I'm here....
I was out today looking at this tree. The female has set fruit and I can't wait to see the dark berries in the fall.
Dirr say in his book that these are more appreciated in England, though they are native to this side of the pond. From what I have seen these are a superb, way, way underutilized small tree. The seeds have a double dormancy, so it'll be some time before I know if I can line the road with them. (Yeah, in my dreams.)

Last edited by Pete on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:35 am 

That is a nice looking specimen. It sure looks like something deer would eat.
Check out deerout.com. I'm using this for the 3rd or 4th year now and it works well. I have lots of rose blooms to show how well it works. It smells better than others too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:25 pm 

I've seen them wild and I love them. Surprisingly common over here in England, "common" meaning you can actually find them for sale! Too big for my garden, I'm afraid, I only have a space for a very small number of trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:24 am 

hi pete,
i never miss an opportunity to show my specimen of this beautiful plant. :) it is my favorite native tree of the ones that i have planted. they really do well if you give them sun but, except for one specimen that was obviously planted in a yard not far from where i live, the only other ones i have seen are growing as spindly understory trees in the wild.
i don't think any birds eat the fruit of mine except for bluejays as they seem too large for most to swallow. most of them drop to the ground and i have found that some of them have come up from where i tossed them into the woods.
this one is about 22+ years old and always draws favorable comments from visitors. the fragrance is so nice and carries across the yard on spring evenings.
second photo shows the snow-like effect of the fallen flowers.
i am at a loss as to why it is not more appreciated.
do you get any fall color on yours? i was thinking i had read that they may go to a soft yellow in cooler climates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:18 am 

Hi Jeff and all. Yes, one has a sort of yellow in the fall, the other one has a brown color. A 22+ year old one is impressive indeed. Thanks for the pic. I never tire of native shrubs. Have you grown any from seed Jeff?

This year has been a banner year for something shown in the next pic. I know it is a change of topic, but it's my thread and it can meander if it wants. Anybody guess what these are? Another native, BTW.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... CF1172.jpg