The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maples in Spring
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:37 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:47 pm 

GORGEOUS !!! You obviously share my love of Japanese Maples -- and for truly reasonable prices when you want a garden full of them, as I do (57 around the property), Forest Farm in Oregon has great prices and an excellent collection. None of theirs, even in the tubes, have ever died.
Yours truly are lovely!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:18 pm 

Thanks! I had forgotten about this post.

Yes, I do like them, but I don't have as many as you and I doubt I ever will. I have room for them, but we just won't be here long enough to see them grow and they most likely will be bulldozed in the future with the way this city is pushing growth. Our house will likely get the same treatment and the forest will get cut down. That I don't want to see!

I start with bigger trees too, so it would get spendy to get a lot. I lost one, likely to v. wilt, so I'm careful about how and where I plant them. I have another one that has been slowly dieing off, but I'm not sure why. I could be moles tunneling underneath it. It's one I planted in my dads memory, so I hope It will last as long as we're living here.

Post subject: Help with your moles
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:12 pm 

After 12 years in this home suddenly there were gopher mounds in my flower bed. Grandson Riley and I put the several sticks of juicy fruit gum in each hole, unwrapped and rolled up, and we have no more gophers. I read you aren't to remove the wrapper, so the next day, to be sure, we put some unwrapped, but we have no more mole piles. Now I hear that gum is great to kill moles, too. Worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:58 am 

I tried the gum in the past, but I don't know if it made a difference or not. Nothing to lose for trying again I guess! They're doing the worst damage in our so called lawn, so that doesn't bother me much.
I've always heard that you shouldn't handle the gum with your bare hands, just use the wrapper to hold it when you put it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:27 pm 

I read, too, not to handle it with our hands, but the first batch that stopped them was with our bare hands and we only put a couple out still in the wrapper. Still after a week nothing has come back, so I'm pretty confident. And we did put about 4 sticks in each mound the first go-round,