The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Participation encouraged!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 pm 

The more discussions we can get going, the better suited the forum will be for the community.

Please share any comments, questions, or suggestions you have about TheGardenForums!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:58 pm 

My only participation at this point... is that I could not upload a new Avatar, and it looked like it was accepted (well within the file dimensions listed), and appeared to be a confirmation on "my profile". Does not show. Small detail... but do you intend that members do NOT use an Avatar? Curious.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:03 am 

Okey..Dokey.... The new Avatar does show. Thanks... Now... feel like the Villiage Idyotte...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 pm 

DesertDweller wrote:
Okey..Dokey.... The new Avatar does show. Thanks... Now... feel like the Villiage Idyotte...

No problem. I think Idyottes are welcome, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:51 pm 

How about a 'new topic' button at the top of the page instead of the bottom? It's a minor thing.

A compost forum separate from the vermicompost forum would be good, since they're so different and with the vc being busier, the other compost discussions would get lost in it.

I think organic gardening would be good by itself too, since it can get so political.

Thanks to all who are working to keep the forums going!! And Dan, thank you again for turning it over to us. I wish you the best in your new ventures. I hope you'll come around once in a while to show the progress of your new place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 am 

I have a question and a suggestion :D The question is: do we keep this URL (thegardenforums.org) or will the whole community move to another page/URL? (Maybe I haven't read this one, because I hadn't so much time the past few weeks to read all the stuff that had been posted, sorry :oops: )

My suggestion is that we could open a trade/exchange area where people can trad plants/seeds and what so ever?! But I would devid it into 3 patrs (USA, Europe, DU/OZ) so that no one gets in trouble with the authorities (shipping, costums etc.).

Thanks, Immanuel :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:08 am 

luv2grdn: Sorry, there is no way to add ano0ther "New Topic" button. The existing composting forum will probably continue to exist, although it may get combined with another forum or two. Same with organic gardening.

Manu: The URL will stay exactly the same! A trade area is definitely being discussed. I like the idea of separating them geographically so there is no confusion! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 pm 

Thanks. No big deal, but just thought I'd try.

Compost,soil, and mulch is a good combo, as you guys have probably already considered many times.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:22 am 

My girl friend and I were serfing around through the topics, we were looking for a member that posted pictures of her garden. I was amazed of a picture of her grand daughter hiding behind the biggest cabbage I've ever seen! All I can remember is that she was from Alaska. We went to the Members list page, but there's no link to a member's Location, or Zone.

I know nothing about web hosting or the mechanics it involves. There is a column for "Rank" but no one has a "Rank"!! Can that be changed to "Location", or (for privacy reasons) "Zone"?? Then a Member could search for more local members that might have similar issues like weather, local crops, zoning laws, ect... Or a Member could be looking for that picture I mentioned, click on "Location/Zone" and get all the Members from the Alaskan zone, or just Alaska.

Just a thought. (BTW, if anyone remembers that picture......??!!

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:01 pm 

Bogydave and sherry?? are the Alaskan members I recall offhand. Did you look through the vegetable forum or the compost forum?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:22 pm 

Hi,

I've been all over the forums since I joined! I started with asking for help in raising worms to most recently about compost. This is an amazing site!! I'll look up Sherry! Thanks!!

What do you think of my idea? Probably can't do it, everyone would have to enter the information fresh. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:21 pm 

Location (or Zone) sounds like a good idea. Let me look into seeing what it takes to set up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:20 pm 

NN, that would've probably been Sherry_AK -her profile:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=137

I recall some great pix she posted in the past...some blue Meconopsis maybe??