The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 pm 

I have Marguerite Daisies. Almost two months ago I had a plant die on me that looked the same. Came home and found part of the plant wilting. Blamed my husband for not watering well enough since it was so hot during that time. I trimmed away the wilted part and gave some water, however the plant died the next day. I wasn't sure if my trimming added more stress? I have since removed that plant. Well the rest of the daisies have been great and since I bought them in April, they have almost grown 10x in size. I have been so proud since I am such a newbie and was never really good until this year. Well today I noticed two of my Daisy plants have begun the partial wilt, but the rest of the plant looks great. The two plants doing this are on each side of the plant that died, so in other words the plant that died was in the middle of the two plants starting to show the same signs. Guess it wasn't my husbands fault? :) Hopefully these pics post otherwise any of you who may be able to help can email me and I will email the pics. I water about once a week. Not due to water until thursday. The ground still is moist and it has been hot, but again the ground is still moist. We have had a lot of ants pop up lately. Mostly hanging out in this garden bed. I moved some of the mulch away from the plant, while checking it out, and tons of ants came up directly next to the yellow wilting daisy, on the side its wilting. However, no ants hanging out next to the White daisy that is showing spots of wilting. All other plants look great. I have no idea what this is. I have know idea if it is a ticking time bomb on my other daisies. I have no idea if it has been influenced by the ants. I put some D.E. down for now. I have been trying to go for the organic gardening approach, but I don;t know if I should be using something as a preventative. Completely clueless, the only thing I have gotten good at is keeping them alive, but I am not using any preventive measures towards anything and I don't know if I should be. Please any thoughts, recommendations, anything will help right now. Thank!!!

This is the plant I found ants by. As you can see only a quarter of the plant has wilt signs. No mildew or fungus signs. At least that I can tell.Image

Other than the deadheading I need to do, the other part of the plant looks great.

This is a view of part of the flowerbed. The plant all the way to the right is the affected Yellow Daisy plant. The little piles of mulch are what I pulled away and found tons of ants under, and I applied to D.E. to. Image

Backed up view of plant, as you can see only wilted in one spot. Image

This is the white daisy. Hard to tell where it is wilted, but towards the back you can see a daisy head wilting, and the spot is around there in the back and then a spot upfront to the right, where it meets the other plant in the photo. Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:29 pm 

I guess my biggest question is, how to avoid this from happening to the rest of the plants. I'm just hoping for some clues as to what I did or whatever it is. I don't care that I have to dig these plants up and toss them, before doing so can I save them. I don't want my whole garden to start doing this and I can't fix it because I'M CLUELESS. Help....someone, anyone!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:40 pm 

I have since pulled these plants. To me the roots look fine but again I'm clueless. Is there really no one in these forums that have come across this. Maybe I posted in the wrong place? I just want maybe some clue on what could have possibly happened, so I don't repeat the same fatal decision towards my other daisies. Another thing my husband said was the humming bird feeder above this section? I disagree because of how it's placed in relation to the plants that died on me. Can I take these and put them in a pot to see if I get new growth? Should I have just let them go in the flowerbed to see if they would sprout new growth? Being clueless, I was scared if it was a disease it would spread......someone? Anyone? One last thing, as I did mention that I was taking the organic route. I do use miracle liquid bloom booster on just these daisies and have converted over to organic fertilizers with everything else. I fertilize only 6 plants with it (Marguerite Daisy). Four look beautiful and still, just the two that went out all in one small section?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 pm 

Any updates regarding this one? :wink: