The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:22 pm 

Has anyone else had problems with their echinacea plants? I have 2 plants that are a few years old. Last year the blooms looked very nice, this year the flowers look poor. The petals are thin and faded looking, not full and pink. The plants get morning sun and afternoon shade.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:10 pm 

if you haven't had a lot of rain, the flowers won't be as showy and the plants don't get as tall, either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 pm 

You know what's so annoying is that a neighbor has the same echinacea and it looks much better than mine. It's in the blazing sun all day and they don't care for it much, only watering when the sprinkler runs.

I was wondering if it likes a certain type of fertilizer?

Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:04 am 

it could be that the plants aren't established enough yet to fully withstand the heat as well as they're just not fully developed. although they are very heat/drought tolerant once established, they need fully developed root sytems to be so and that doesn't happen during the first year or so.

from year to year, i see variations with height as well as how big the flowers are as well as how lush the color of the petals. how old the plant is definitely affects this - 2 and 3 year old plants tend to not have as showy flowers as older plants. spring weather affects things also - both quantity of rain as well as the temps.

if you've got a sprinkler going, they could, actually, be getting too much water. how often does the sprinkler come on and how long is water being delivered and how much? the soil could also be affecting the development - they do best is very well-draining soil that doesn't stay too moist for too long.

i never fertilize and i don't purposely water either - only do that when i split out clumps and only during the first season to assist the plants with becoming established.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 pm 

Coneflowers will grow in partial shade conditions but like full sunlight. It grows deep because of the thick tap-root. This allows it to grow in average or poor soil. Once established it has great water conservation.

In windy areas it may be necessary for staking Echinacea flower stalks to prevent breaking. If these flowers are deadheaded in the summer, it will stop leaves from coming for several weeks.You may start seeing self-sown seedlings. Goldfinches are highly attracted to seed heads that are left at the end of the season.

Outdoor seeds sown, or started plants, Coneflowers can be grown either way. Many of them should be bought as live plants because not all Echinacea plants will grow true from seeds.

The dark green Spring foliage is attractive. This plant blooms all through the summer and most of the fall. Some gardeners choose to leave the coneflower seed heads on the plant at the end of the season to provide winter interest and food for native songbirds.