The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: seeds from a geranium??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:25 pm 

So I have a pot full of marigolds, doing real well. I pulled a flower bloom off and kind of crushed it open to see all the needle like seeds. I'll dry them out and plant them for future use. My question is where are the seeds from my geraniums, as I'd like to see if I can start from seed here also. Any body ever try this to propagate geraniums, I am told they can be propagated easily from a cutting, but I'd still like to know if they have seeds and where the buggers are.

Thanks folks

Steve

Post subject: Re: seeds from a geranium??
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:21 pm 

Several things here.

Don't know if you are talking about Geranium species, like many of the woodland flowers, or the lots of things called "geraniums", which are actually Pelargonium species. Either way, the developing seeds are within what was the flower, just like your marigolds.

But you need to let the seeds develop fully if you want to save them and grow them out. Even if the flower has browned out, and the petals have fallen off, that doesn't mean the seeds are growable. Let the spent flower keep filling out and maturing the seeds. Otherwise, in human terms, what you get are a bunch of *really undeveloped* premature babies who just cannot survive.....

It's possible that the young marigold seeds you got from crushing the old flower weren't mature enough. Let some of the old marigold flowers have the time to really 'set seed'. Same with your geraniums. When the flowers go by, wait to see if there is a swelling below where the petals were. If there is, then wait some more and let things develop :)

One more note.... One reason that 'geraniums' are grown from cuttings is that they are then, essentially, clones. If you save mature seed and grow them out, they may or may not be similar to the plants that the seeds came from. That can be very cool, actually..... But you can't count on them looking or smelling the same as their parent did.

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:49 am 

This is what Geranium seeds look like. In Britain the common name for the wild Geranium is Cranes bill cos the seed pods resemble it.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1

Seeds are readily available here from seed suppliers and many people start their plants from seed.

http://www.unwins.co.uk/geranium-simply ... id984.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:16 am 

Thanks all, I got a handle on this now.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:50 pm 

Steve, here it is 4 months later and your geraniums hopefully are still with you, flowering as good as ever but .....not for many more days. If its desired to have the plant come back next season, do not let your geranium be hit by frost; frost is a killer.
Geranium....the pelargonium...the beloved annual that decorates our gardens and our hang-ups, is the one plant, with a few others, that can be kept overwinter and brought back next spring a good, or better, than the previous season.....and kept going for years and years and years.
Its a shame to throw out a pel if there's a windowsill without a flower or, barring that, to put the plant into a cool cellar to spend the winter alone, in the dark, without water.....and it comes back about the Ides of March, to again flower up a storm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:54 am 

I've found they hold up against moderate frosts. Mine get damaged by temps as low as 25'F, but aren't killed by it.