The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hollyhock leaf problems
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:27 pm 

My hollyhocks have some leaves that look like something has eaten a path across the leaf. Not all the way through, but I think if I don't do something, I'll probably get a totally eaten (lacy) leaf.

I thought this might be a common problem and looked through the web, but nothing came up.

Post subject: Re: Hollyhock leaf problems
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:07 am 

I don't know about hollyhock in particular, but some of the trees around her have a similar pattern on them and it's caused by a leaf miner that is actually inside the leaf. I have no idea how to get rid of it, but it doesn't seem to have hurt the trees any.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:18 pm 

I've got a hollyhock problem too, but a different one. They are just gorgeous this year, very tall and much fuller than usual. However, in the last week or so they have started to develop a spot under the leaves - within a couple of days the leaf with the spot dries up and dies. Dozens or even hundreds of pinky yellow slightly raised spots on the underside of the leaves. I've had this in other years, but never anything like this bad. It has been much wetter than usual this year and I wonder if it's some kind of fungus.

If I use fungicide, first of all, will it hurt the bees? And, will it work this late in the year - I understand they are more of a preventative than a treatment.

Any help that anyone can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 pm 

leaf miners are common with hollyhocks as are fungal issues. if it's only a few leaves affected, i'd just remove them. hopefully that will be enough to stop the damage in its tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:41 pm 

I know I'll probably get flack about the suggestion but I am cynical about people who poke their noses into problems and don't listen to the people who know.
Premier McGuinty prevented gardeners province-wide from purchasing a chemical that
infiltrates into the very heart of a plant to kill anything that has the audacity to want to eat it.
Bugs will do anything to get a free meal and they get right into the leaf tissue to do it.
Systemics worked because it travelled through the plants' sap system and killed anything that ate the leaf. Systemics work very well and when properly used, they save a lot of unnecessary applications of things that don't work.
Cygon 2E was a constant companion for my roses, my birch tree and many vegetables that were protected by it. What hurts more is the fact the government didn't suggest what alternative gardeners should use. For instance, for the birch tree borer, the gardener was advised to keep its undersides clean. That was it. While it may be true that if we keep disease from the area around the tree by not letting rotting debris sit there, it is still important to defend against the bugs that like to eat internally the tissue.
Systemics do that. Well, they do it, but not in the Province of Ontario.
Some experrts have suggested it will take about 6 years for the weeds to become such a problem that they'll have to put herbicides back onto the market.