The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What's this on my fuchsia?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:44 pm 

I have a growing collection of fuchsia plants (I love them, and so do the hummingbirds). I got cuttings of several new varieties from an auntie last year, and they are growing well and beginning to flower. One of them has a strange growth (for lack of a better word). It looks like a leaf/flower combination. It has been there for weeks. I looked online and it doesn't appear to be gall mite damage (I hope) and didn't find any other ideas. Is it just a random deformity? Is it anything I should worry about? As you can see in the photo, the plant is also developing a normal-looking flower.

Thanks!

Helen
Attachment:
IMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6087.JPG [ 494.35 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6087.JPG [ 494.35 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]
[attachment=0]

Edited to add Sorry I can't figure out how to get rid of the extra photo!

Attachments:
File comment: Close-up
IMG_6088.JPG
IMG_6088.JPG [ 372.5 KiB | Viewed 605 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:02 pm 

I am no expert on fuchias, but I have seen this kind of thing on a number of other kinds of garden plants, and even on a number of florist flowers at the shop where I work.

Developmentally, flower petals and sepals are modified leaves. Sometimes the development of the parts in the forming bud 'glitches' to one degree or another, and you get an odd mix of flower parts that are more leaflike. This can be as simple as one petal that is odd-looking and greenish, or it can be an interesting mix-up like your flower in the picture.

There are viruses that can mess up development like this, but more often, it occurs naturally in single flowers. Since the other flower on the plant seems to be developing normally, I strongly suspect that your odd flower is just a really cool-looking anomaly :)

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:47 pm 

Thank you Linda! I hope you're right. It is kind of cool looking, as long as it's not harmful! As I said, it's been there for a few weeks, and besides that one flower about to open, several other normal-looking buds have formed in the last few days.

Helen